angel breeding

R32GOTMLK

hi are there any tricks to breeding angels?

i have what was sold to be as a breeding pair and ive had them for about 2 months and they have layed eggs once but they were not fertilsed :(

is there any thing special i should be doing?

do they need a certain ph and temp to breed in?

Cheers

Mine dont get any special treatment and they spawn every 2 weeks.

A record was broken last night, they laid eggs on my intake pipe, and it took about 3 minutes after theyd finished for my swarm of neons to attack them :lol:

Lots of water changes and good food. They like to spawn near the top of the tank so I used to hang a peice of slate near the top. They should go every 10-14 days if you take the eggs out.

Where do you get the slate from?

I have a tank set up just for my breeding pair - it's my first time too. Do you feel it's best to remove the parents or leave the father in there to do his parenting thing?

There would have been some white ones, but the pair will eat them off while they are fanning the eggs and caring for them, the pair I have are very good parents that way.

I left my breeding pair in with their fry for quite a few weeks, it's quite amusing watching them first catch any wrigglers and put them back on the slate, and then once they are free swimming they would herd them into a tight group to keep them safe.

I used a grey/black coloured clay tile I found at mitre 10 for my laying site, was only a couple of bucks and works great, my pair like it.

Mine hate water changes - disturbance - and when I DON'T want them to breed I have learned to just give them a water change whenever they start cleaning and that keeps them out of the mood. I know that's the opposite to what most people say. So if you are being good and changing your water frequently and finding they aren't spawning, try leaving them alone for a couple of weeks and see what happens. If they are alone in the tank as they need to be to breed, your water will be OK so long as you don't over feed. (Once the babies are free swimming you do have to do the water changes properly though - don't skimp then).

I have a plastic breeding cone that I no longer need. Ill probably sell it with my pair when I move them on soon.

I have the cone in the middle of a bare 20L tank, just with a sponge filter and heater, and they do their thing. I remove them shortly after.

The main reason I have very small yields (I currently have 11 fry left that are 1 month old) is because I dont feed newly hatched brine shrimp.