Community Fish

wellmax

Hi Everyone,

I have just stocked my 300 litre tank with 6 tiger barbs, 6 green barbs and 6 golden barbs. I was wondering if there are any suggestions out there for any other varieties that will live in harmony with this family. I was thinking of adding a couple of minature gouramis.

If I had a 300L ank I would not put 6 tiger barbs, 6 green barbs etc I would put a whole heap of the one species! These fish look brilliant when in a large group, instead of a few of each. They really show their colours and schooling behaviour then.

If I had a 300L ank I would not put 6 tiger barbs, 6 green barbs etc I would put a whole heap of the one species! These fish look brilliant when in a large group, instead of a few of each. They really show their colours and schooling behaviour then.

They could be meaning tiger barbs, and the green and gold varieties of tigerbarbs.

I'm with caryl - more fish of the same type look waaay better than lots of different types. But with a tank that size you can do both. A 300 litre tank is big enough that you could double the number of barbs in each of your schools, and still have room for more!

So start by increasing the barbs, and then think about the different places in your tank where the fish can swim. Your barbs will be all over the middle of your tank (gold barbs low/middle, tiger barbs high/middle). How about something that swims at the top of your tank and something else that swims at the bottom? A school of cories or loaches would be good for the bottom, and maybe raspboras or some kind of tetra for the top?

You might also like to think about an algae-eater type fish - maybe a couple of bristlenoses? Personally I am absolutely in love with my Siamese Algae Eaters (SAEs) and if I had a tank that size I would keep a school of 7 or 8 of them!

:bounce: The possibilities are endless! :bounce:

by the way, your golden barbs are very peaceful fish and will be happy living with virtually any other peaceful community fish. Tiger barbs (of which the green barbs are a colour variation) have a reputation for being a bit nippy. But in a tank that size, with a reasonable-sized school of them, you shouldn't have any problems.

I forgot to ask more about your tank: What are the dimensions? Are you planning on keeping plants?

I am aware two of those mentioned are colour variations of the same barb but would still prefer to see more of one colour. I like golden barbs as they are bigger, very colourful, and always on the move.

I agree, caryl. I think 12 of each would look brilliant (12 regular tigers, 12 green tigers and 12 golden barbs). And then something for the top of the tank and something for the bottom. And plants. And driftwood. So you can never see all the fish at one time and there is always a bit of mystery about the tank.

:bounce:

*Wants a 300 litre tank* :lol:

I have normal,green and gold green striped tiger barbs with checker barbs,lipstick barbs,Sumatra barb,loaches, bns, danios and a shark and they all get on together and cruise all areas of the tank. Haven't had any problems with them being nippy but the male tigers tend to fight amongst each other, no harm done though and funny to watch.