Low pH

JK

Hi all

Lately I have been noticing that my tank keeps reverting to pH of about 6.0, possibly even slightly lower.

Fish don't seem to mind too much but just wondering if it's something I should be worried about and if there is anything I should be doing.

I am pretty sure that it is due to the large piece of wood that I have in the tank. I do 20% water changes weekly but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. I also have some pH up but dont want to add stuff to the tank thats not essential if ya get what I mean.

Thoughts??

I had a similar problem with 1 of my 950L tanks. I was doing 50% weekly water changes but the PH always dropped to 4.3 in 7 days. I thought it was the drift wood also untill I removed the inhabitants (2 Oscars 8 Bala and an Arrowana) the problem disappeared,I put it down to big poopers.

Cheers for the responses so far.

Ammonia is coming up at very close to nil, maybe 0.1 at most.

Did remove a fair few poos from the tank this weekend though. Have a GBA about 5inches long who knows how to do them :lol:

Carryl - tank is 120ltr so not huge

Has the following fish

2 x small blue rams

2 x GBA (1 of which is 5inches)

6 x neons

6 x rummy nose

4 x glowlight danio

2 x dwarf chain loaches

I assume the tap water pH is higher? Have you tried sitting a tap water sample overnight then testing the pH again?

My thought too was you had big fish in there and it was their wastes causing the drop but they aren't big fish.

Yep I know. Had done a few searches on this site (with more meaningful results than 'raising kh') and also elsewhere.

Was just keen to hear if anyone had any recommended articles on the subject.