What's your feeding routine for Discus

megs27

I'm after ideas for making my discus have different meals at the moment they get bloodworms,frozen brime shrimp and colourbits and ocasionally discus tucker fed twice a day not all the above in one go!! with one day a week with no food.

Do you feed your discus twice a day and have a no food day???

Would really like to hear from all of you especially from our beloved discusgru :hail:

Thanks

I Feed my Discus upto 3 times a day :D

A combination of Frozen Bloodworms, Discus Tucker, Tetra Colourbits, Frozen Brine Shrimp and their Favourite Food which is Tubifex Worms, they all go Absolutely Crazy, when I stick these to the Glass on the inside of the Tank.

They're not that keen on the Discus Tucker to be honest :roll:

I don't have a "NO FOOD" Day.

Can you inform me as to why you have a No Food Day??

Was told that fish apparently in the wild don't eat every day because there is a lack of food and that it gives their digestion a rest too, don't know how true it is but I know it's hard not to feed them when they follow you up and down the tank looking wat you with those puppy dog eyes :o

My guys get a variety of food - bloodworms, zuchinni, discus tucker, colour bits, homemade frozen food - but there main food is good quality flake

There favorite is sinking shrimp pellets

I feed mine 3 times a day - only because they're still young and I want them to grow well

I feed mine 3-6 times a day or feed whenever they ask for it :wink: . So it all depends how busy I am :lol: Weekends when i'm home all day, they get fed all day :bounce: :bounce:

Mainly bloodworms and colorbits. Not feeding ox heart at the moment cos I have no time to make them.

50% Waterchange daily.

If the discus dont have big bellies (from the feed before) and follow me as I walk past the tank they get fed. But they get waterchanges every day. They grow well :lol: I do find once they hit adulthood their appetite really drops tho and they just wont eat what they did when they were youngins

Mine eat twice a day but the 2nd time is an extended feeding that can last 2- 3 hours :-). If they are still hungry they get more and my biggest one is always still hungry. He looks like a beach ball and is a total bully around food.

Colourbits and a 1cm cube of BH mix in the morning.

Bloodworms and a 1cm cube of BH mix when I get home and then flake and then white or grindal worms and more BH mix and cut up redworms..... The 5pm feeding has been known to last on and off till 9pm lol.

50% water change once a week on a wednesday night and a 75% on Saturday. I dont feed them on Saturdays.

Wow, I found some very interesting Recipes on there :wink:

Think I might have ago at making some Discus Tucker myself on the Weekend, have to admit, I do like the idea of Grating the Heart onto a Plate then popping into the Tank.

Seems likea alot less mucking around.

I have some frozen Shrimps in the Freezer is it ok to pop these straight into the tank or do I have to cook them before feeding?? Actually come to think of it, I think they are already Cooked.

• 2 weeks later...

You talk about feeding until they are full.

As I am new to discus what is considered a feed for one discus?

Mine have settled in well now and feeding nicely,even hand feeding after 4 days,but between the 3 of them they might eat 1/4 of bloodworm square.Body size is around 8cm.

Could someone maybe give me a bit of a guide just so I do the right thing by them.

Thanks guys

My Guys would eat untill they POP I think :o

Looks great when they've got Fat Round Little Bellys :D

I would be giving them at Least a Bloodworm Cube Each, I feed every couple of Hours when I get home from work at night, so they will have say 3 feeds in about 4-5 Hours.

I always give them enough Time to finish feeding before the Lights get switched off.

How often are you Feeding them and how often are you doing Water Changes??

What are you feeding them??

Bloodworms and colour bits are their diet atm.Feed in the morning then a couple of times in the evening.

They are yet to have a go at the colour bits,even tho that is what the lfs said they were eating in the shop.

The bloodworms as I said before they eat 1/4 of a cube(feeding 1/2 a cube at a time till I get an idea of what goes on) between them and then the Bristlenose and clown loaches get the rest.Might just feed small amounts,a few times like has been mentioned.

Only had the fish 5 days,doing a 2nd water change today but will do 2-3 a week as there isn't a lot in the tank at all.