what do people feed their whiptails?

nemines

I'll jump in and wait for replies also.

I've only had my whiptail for 4 days and he hasn't moved away form the plant he likes. I have no idea if he's eating or not !

I've given tropical flakes (his breeder fed them that) , zucchini, peas, shrimp pellets... haven't seen him go near any yet.

He's a cool little guy though, looks like a twig! He's one of Phils "rare" ones.

My Bristlenose loves pumpkin more than anything else so i might try lightly cooked pumpkin next.

I got my 2 Whiptails from Bubble and Squeak a wee while ago, Popped 1 into my Small Community Tank and 1 into my Discus Tank.

I see the one in the Discus Tank regularly, but I'm beginning to think I've lost the one in the other Tank, haven't seen him round for ages :roll:

Normally they just feed on the Algae in the Tank and anything I feed the Bottom Feeders, like Spirulina Discs etc.

I currently have 4 species of whiptail and they all get the following.

Decap brine shrimp egg

Bloodworms

Flake

algae wafers

veges

how do you feed them the decaps ? Do you just let its settle to the bottom? I feed my guppy fry decaps and not much makes it to the bottom, what the guppys don't eat gets sucked up the filter.

bikbok

if they are black whiptails like mine they love bloodworms, its their favourite. And anything else meaty, they're not into veges

Yes they are black whiptails (not sure why "black" though lol.) fresh bloodworm or dried? My betta gobbles up the dry ones.. again.. i don't think any would make it down to where the whiptail currently resides.

I googled whiptail diet and got conflicting info from lots of protein to no meaty protein! No-one seems to know anything about the black whiptail diet and I wasn't sure if they ate the same as other whiptails.. so it's good to hear from another black whiptail owner. Did you get yours from Phil also?

yup from phil

i have mine in with killies, feed them frozen bloodworms and they are pretty quick to grab the ones that make it to the bottom of the tank. I read some of phils threads on here about them and it mentioned they were carnivorous, so then i looked at other types of carnivorous whiptails online and went by that. They wont touch pleco tablets or anything, was told when i got them they were eating flake but they don't seem to eat it, just ignore it, but if i put some in a night time its gone in the morning so maybe they eat it in the dark.

They're funny with the bloodworms, they suck all the red part out and leave the clear casing things behind.

They're cool little fish, and mine have grown really fast. Might get some more when i have the $'s.

I have a Royal and he seems to be happy just grazing algae off the plants gave him some spirulina discs but he ignores them. I understand that some types of whiptail are vegetarian while others prefer bloodworms etc. I have had mine for about four weeks and he seems to be happy.

i have always very lightly cooked carrot and pumpkin for my BNs .. they love pumpkin but weren't fussed on carrot.

Still not sure if my Black whiptail is eating.. I notice he moves around a bit more in the late evening so maybe he eats when I'm not looking...I gave him some bloodworms earlier today but he didn't seem to notice they were there.