Snail breeding bowl

enzoom1

Well I'm going to be getting a couple of figure 8 puffers soon so I'm going to be proactive and set up a small snail breeding tank now.

I've got an unused goldfish bowl that I'd like to use. It's going to have no heater or filter (i'll do frequent water changes).

Will the water be warm enough for breeding red ramshorns, or should I try breeding pond snails?

Just from a quick google, mystery snails look too pet-like (e.g. apple snails) to have as puffer food :P . Although if everyone recommends them I'll give them a try. :wink:

Are the pond snails we get here the same as the ones that i find if I google "pond snails"?

If they are the ones we have here, can anyone point me to someone or to somewhere where I could get some.

:)

Ramshorns breed much more quickly in a bigger tank. I started with a 15l tank to breed them in but I just couldn't keep up with demand. Now I have a FW tank that they breed in really quickly, and 2 50L containers outside as back ups.

You're best breeding both of them, as they go through population highs and lows, so you can have 1 type that will make babies when the other wont.

Great idea for starting early; they'll eat you out of house and home very quickly!

I thaught I had my MTS situations under control but when I moved my tank and stirred up the gravel, the snails were partying for 2 weeks straight. If I had puffers are loaches then they'd be super fat.

MTS burrow in the gravel so you think you only have a few, but theres more, much much more. *dramatic tone*

Ok so I'm going to go with Ramshorns and Pond snails. I'm sure I could get my hands on some ramshorns quite easily but I've never (that I can remember) seen pond snails at any shop (as a pest snail in a tank).

Maybe I should post a Wtd ad in the PT&E section..

The snail bowls up and running!

No filter or nothing, just an airpump running on it.

Picked up a couple of ramshorns from HFF today. When I asked if they could fish out a few snails they looked like this --> :o ... But when I told them what they were for, they looked like this --> :lol: :P