A Lighting question?

SamH

I currently have one 2ft single 18w cool daylight tube mounted in a plywood box over my 2ft planted tank. The Java moss is doing well but the Java Fern, Bacopa and Polysperma aren't thriving.

I'm planning on building a DIY lighthood (thread in the DIY section) and mounting 4 2ft 18w tubes over it.

Is that enough light to grow plants decently?

My pockets are slightly deeper than the tank but I don't have a real job. Aquarium tube prices are a killer, $50 for a 3 foot powerglo is too much for me.

I'm not sure on an exact price I'd be willing to pay but around the $50 mark.

The guy I'm getting my light fixtures off also has tubes, should I get a couple of DayLight tubes too?

What combos do you guys have over your tanks?

What combos do you guys have over your tanks?

2x 4ft 18000K T5 HO's ~$330+ 54Wx2 - bear in mind these are HO's so blindingly bright.

1x 4ft marine blue (low intensity) ~$40 - only comes on when i need to make plants flower - and to show off my dems lol

1x 4ft plant gro 6500K dull pink ~$60 - makes plants nice and happy.

and 2x 2ft T5 HO 18000K on standby, currently used as a study lamp :lol:

Eeek! That's alot of light. I assume your plants are growing up and through the lids? :lol:

If my math/calculator is correct, then:

Each tube is 18w

I will have four tubes

18 x 4 = 72

Therefore, I will be putting 72 watts of light over a 30cm tall aquarium.

That enough? I have 2 x 30w tubes over my 3ft tank of the same height and the plants (excluding the hairgrass) are failing. Perhaps I'll turn that tank into a grass tank... Something like this maybe?

(http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=0&id=129)

413.jpg

Eeek! That's alot of light. I assume your plants are growing up and through the lids? :lol:

were growing. i sold the whole lot. except for the rare plants, which are stored away safely until i need them back.

see:

DSC03771Small.jpg

DSC04198iSmall.jpg

flower stimulus

DSC04559Small.jpg

DSC04357Small.jpg

DSC04556Small.jpg

and this tank, used 2x24W dull pink plant pros, no ferts, nothing fancy. just proves it can be done - just need to choose the right plants:

DSC04167Small.jpg