Macaw

Charlie

I am seriously thinking about getting a blue macaw from Trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 248028.htm

however this will be my first time owning a parrot, I have worked with lories in the past but is this too much of a big step up?

I am aware of all the training and $$$ involved in raising such a bird but i think it will be worth it in the long run... also is their a difference in personality from a female over a male?

also if i got a male now would it be hard pairing him up with a female down the line?

pairing macaws is a hard task. they pair for life, and choose their mates.

$6500 for 1 is pretty cheap.

If you haven't had a macaw before, id seriously recommend getting a ring neck, and hand rearing it yourself, and then move onto a macaw if you are happy with the results you have achieved with the ring necks.

Ask about the genetics (line breeding, in breeding etc), as a lot of this has been happening unfortunately.

females are more placid, males more dominant - but males talk a lot more. having said that they are very intelligent, so you can teach them just about anything.

are your intentions to breed some eventually, or to have a friendly pet bird? :D

I am seriously thinking about getting a blue macaw from Trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 248028.htm

however this will be my first time owning a parrot, I have worked with lories in the past but is this too much of a big step up?

I am aware of all the training and $$$ involved in raising such a bird but i think it will be worth it in the long run... also is their a difference in personality from a female over a male?

also if i got a male now would it be hard pairing him up with a female down the line?

Yeah, it's just a bit of a step up. For one, lorikeets can make you bleed...A macaw can take your fingers off.

Also, if you have a breeding pair they'll no longer be pets.