Big spot pleco (Peckoltia sabaji) photo wanted

flatfish

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wondering where to find out what all the different catfish numbers and letters mean or if you could help me by identifing my pleco (photo of the month) I was told it was just a leporad pleco but since reading your post there is obiviously a whole world of plecos that I didn't know about. You can use my photo if my pleco fits the profile your after.

Thanks

Hi,

common names can be confusing as more than one type of pleco can have the same common name, and some plecos have a number of common names. Your photo is definitely a leopard pleco or gibby, or as they are commonly known here a redspot pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) and they can grow to about 45 cm.

As for the confusing L-numbers. A number of years ago a large number of new types of pleco started being exported from South America and imported into europe and elsewhere for aquariums. Many of these were not and are still not scientifically described and did not have common names so it was difficult to keep a track on who had what and what each species was. To provide a system to keep a track on each new type of pleco, the german aquarist magazine DATZ came up with L-numbers. Each time a new species/variety of pleco turned up in the hobby it was given a new L-number (so L1, L2, L3 .... L400, etc.). To further confuse the issue, some species have slightly different variations throughout their home range and these were given new L-numbers so some species have more than one L-number. Hope this makes some sense. For a great resource on freshwater catfish, including plecos, try Planet Catfish (http://www.planetcatfish.com).

Thanls for the offer of your photo. It's a great shot of a very nice redspot pleco.