** Internal or External Filter** That is the Question

nor_wester

Hi Nor_Wester

Firstly, Welcome to the fishroom :D

Secondly, To Answer your question.

With a tank that size, I would go with a external filter, simply because the tank is so big. Id probably add some internal power heads to give the tank a little more circulation.

Good Luck with the new Tank.

Breaka\/\/ay

Hi there, I have a tank a similar size and have both (as well as 2 ugf's) but personally i like the internal best mainly because my external sits on the ground 900mm below the bottom of the fish tanks most external filters have a low pressure tolerance in their pumps and to pump the water up that far (and is even worse if you have lots of filter midium) you loose alot of flow with an internal they take less time to clean, have no head hight (as they are at the tanks level) so the only flow lost is from the pressure of the filter midium. if i were to do it again i would go back to the normal style tank where yo u can only see 1 1200mm face and 2 ends (at the moment i have a bullet shaped tank so you see 2 1200mm faces) adn have 4 internals running in there that way you could have great flow and only clean one filter at a time thus not killing you beneficial bacteria.

although another effective filtration method i had on my old tank was cutting the return pipe short and filling a breeding tank with filter whool and sitting it out of the water so ontop of external filtration you have an effecient wet dry filter worked really well

Unless you have the outlet of the cannister filter above the tank, there is no head that the pump has to pump against. The only restriction is any media in the filter and the hoses, NOT pumping the water back from the cannister up to the tank.

Thanks Folks for the welcome & the information.

I'm going to be running undergrav's as well, so I guess it may come down too how much room I havearound the tank. im looking at a new Atlas 800F on the net, but I'm waiting to be emailed some more info about it. Has anyone here had any dealing with this make. Would really like to hear,

Cheers :lol:

Unless you have the outlet of the cannister filter above the tank, there is no head that the pump has to pump against.

In theory if the canister is either higher than the top of the tank or lower than the bottom of the tank you get head because you have a sealed loop and either way the water is transfred against gravity (the return from the canister still needs pressure to move the water up and back into the tank) or (the feed to the canister needs to pull water up in order to pump it to flow back down into the tank) this is how i understand it anyway i caould very well be wrong :D

this is how i understand it anyway i caould very well be wrong

Yup, you're wrong.:) This keeps coming up for some reason, don't know why it's very basic, anyway... Because it's a sealed loop all the pump has to do is move the water any distance the outlet is above the water level. Take a hose, put one end in the water, suck on it until you get a siphon going then dangle the center of the hose near the floor and hold the other end up above water level. If the pump had to pump the water back up to the tank's water level then when you do this the water would simply stop at the lowest point in the hose because there is no pump to pump it back upwards. Obviously, this isn't the case. The water naturally flows through the hose until it's matching the level in the tank. That's exactly what it does in the cannister filter. Now if you lift the end of the hose up so it's say 6 inches above the water level, that's the only height that the filter would have to actually pump it. So, you're only losing 6 inches of head worth of flow and whatever resistance there is in the hoses and inside the cannister. Drop the outlet into the water and then the only losses are resistance in the hoses and cannister because there is no head.

Now if you were talking about a sump, then yeah, that's not a closed loop and the pump WOULD have to pump it the height up to the tank.

We all make mistakes Daniel - the dumb bit is when we don't learn from them or if we keep repeating them. :wink:

I prefer external filtration only because they don't take up space inside the tank and you don't have to hide them from view so they don't ruin your aquascape. You can also maintain them without having to get your hands in the tank.