Older than Dirt

Caryl

Zev is not a MAN! :o

take that back before you feel the wrath of the pointy stick :o :lol:

:D

Calm down, Phoenix, I am sure it is just a figure of speech! :wink:

We used to get into the cinema using empty pop bottles as payment to watch the likes of Muffin the mule.

Ha! I remember the money for empties thing, talk about getting people to recycle, mind you some of the bottles were looking pretty ratty after a while. I also remember that we couldn't get Fanta for ages either for some reason, the supply was pretty sporadic.

We used to go to the milk treatment station and get the offcuts from the foil bottle tops and use them for things like decorating floats for the blossom parade, and hanging over the strawberries to try and keep the birds off them.

I think we should make our own un-American-ised list of 25 Kiwi things.

Anyone remember the milk at school thing. Little bottle of milk with a cardboard lid and it tasted like cardboard because it had been in the sun since delivery. Stand up for the queen at the beginning of the movies. That must have been the start of my career as a protester because I got hit on the head by a torch from an usher for not standing up.

Anyone remember the milk at school thing. Little bottle of milk with a cardboard lid and it tasted like cardboard because it had been in the sun since delivery. Stand up for the queen at the beginning of the movies. That must have been the start of my career as a protester because I got hit on the head by a torch from an usher for not standing up.

Forgot about God save the Queen! - but then we had intermission at the movies as well, and the poor kids with the ice cream tray thingys strapped over their shoulders standing in the centre aisle of the picture theatre - those were the days when they only played one movie at a time for a few weeks and the signage advertising the movie over the door was hand painted.

And you could buy Jaffas or Snifters.

Actually I got the job of getting rid of it. The collections were in areas where the drainage was realy bad for a septic tank and the cost per year was about $8000 dollars to pick up 6 cans weekly. When I looked into it I found that half of them had ilegally installed a flush toilet and were putting out a bucket of water with a shovel full of dirt in it. Kiwi ingenuity at its best.