Pond cleaners

Caryl

The ones I have seen work on a venturi system where water running in is used to suck the gunge out and both lots go to waste. There is a formulae for the design of a venturi (which I don't know) and the incoming water is passed through a restricter as part of that. I have seen one made and used to suck up gravel for recovering gold from a river bed so I have no doubt that the principle would work. It would be a matter of wether the swimming pool one you are looking at can get enough water pressure from your mains (a water blaster might also be a usefull purchase) and the outlet hose being large enough to carry the gunge from the bottom of the pond.

Thanks for your thoughts. I will have to look into it more closely I think. At this time of year the pond is so clear and the fish all tucked under the deck so an ideal time to suck out the sludge.

If you don't want to try to rig something up yourself you could try contacting a company that cleans rainwater tanks. When we had ours done they siphoned all the worst of the gunk out onto the ground but then had a petrol water pump that they fed through a filter to pump the rest of the tank water through a few times to clear up the last of the muck.

We have a 5 meter by 14 meter pool and have to clean the muck up every summer and we would never just use the vaccume as is clogs up after a 2 meter strip, Then you have to flush the filter gunk out witch takes 10 minutes each time. You could get a pool net and scrape it accros the ground thats what I do and then dump a whole heap of chlorine in which clears it up in no time.

Now I have no idea the difference between a pond filter and a pool filter. But for an pool, when the filter is running the water if filtered then returned into the pool. Now say at the beginning of the season you would do what was already stated, clean out as much as you could with the net (leaves and other stuff). What we did at the first of the season after doing this we added something (don't remember the name, but probably not safe for fish) that would make stuff "gel" together then when we vacuum we would turn the filter to waste which meant that the water was not going back into the pool but to a hose that led just outside the barn.

Caper

2 ways are used in public pools. One is a electric pump and a head on the end of a pole, just like you vac your house. Water goes to waste though.

The other way is a small underwater fan with a bag attached, these are not as effective as the other method.

Id suggest finding a pump and make a filter/sump type system where you run the water over some fine filter wool, may take some time though