Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sick Discus not eating

Featured Replies

I've got a Blue Turk Discus that has been in my Hospital Tank for round 5 days now.

Have been treating him with Furan2, on the advice from Discusguru (Ron), we are treating him for a Bacterial Infection, I orginally thought he was suffereing from Gill Flukes but Ron doesn't seem to think so, as my Discus isn't Flashing or Flicking his Gills.

Anyway, he's been on Furan2 for the last 5 days, in those 5 days he hasn't eaten, I'm now very concerned that he is going to DIE from Starvation :roll:

He is looking rather thin in the Body, I have been offereing a small amount of Bloodworms about an Hour before I give him his Water Change and his next lot of Meds.

Really not sure what else to do with him :(

Any ideas would be very much appreciated :hail:

This is my most recent sucess story.

LilBlue2.jpg

LilBlue.jpg

to

LilBlueNew.jpg

LilBlueNew2.jpg

in 6 weeks.

No guarantees but have a pre prepared hospital tank and happy to help if required.

Otherwise Metro for 3 or 4 days re-dosed and full water change every 12 hours, Levamisloe for general worming dosed once for 3 days, PP to clean up the rest dosed at 1.5 - 2ppm for an 8 hour bath every 3rd day while still doing 100% water changes at least twice a day.

  • Author

WOW Congratulations Win you've done well :hail:

Still trying to track down some Metro, I have repeatedly asked the Vet here in Levin if they are happy to get hold of some for me, still waiting to hear back :roll:

I was able to get hold of some Droncit so thats something I guess, what is Levamisloe, where do I get this from??

Next question what is PP, I have seen this in previous posts but not sure where I'm meant to get hold of this either.

Obviously it would be best to finish the Furan2 Treatment before starting anything else??

He's definitely looking alot better than he was, but the Little Sod just wont eat now :o

Geeze I had forgotten how bad that discus really was bilbo he looks nice now :)

I would go for metro as a treatment too, lavamisole is available from vets etc as a bird wormer called aviverm or as a sheep drench, but it is easier to buy in smaller quantities as aviverm. There is a good article with treatment dosages etc at the bottom. http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatmen ... chloride-1

Glad to hear your discus is now looking better and hope he pulls through, maybe this was something you introduced with all the fish you chuck in there without quarantine?

Metro is perscription only, need a nice doctor or vet.

PP is Potassium permanganate, Cheap as chips but can be hard to find.

Levamisole is got as Aviverm a bird wormer.

  • Author

Yippee,

Just had a phone call from my Vet, saying they are happy to give me the Metro I've been trying so hard to get, was a long Road to Hoe but I finally got there :hail:

Cant help on the meds sorry but chopped earthworms used to make my discus go nuts, that was the only thing they would *never* refuse

  • Author

Looks like we're starting him on Metro tomorrow, this advice is from Discusguru.

So will see what happens after that, hopefully he will start eating again.

careful with the PP its a very harsh oxidixer and in my experience you need to be able to weight the doseage very accurately or it can result in death (from experience). I would go with metro first, i had a disucs with similar symptoms to what you described, not eating, sometime floating sideways etc, dosed with metro and that seemed to do the trick

careful with the PP its a very harsh oxidixer and in my experience you need to be able to weight the doseage very accurately or it can result in death (from experience). I would go with metro first, i had a disucs with similar symptoms to what you described, not eating, sometime floating sideways etc, dosed with metro and that seemed to do the trick

Very good advice as I mentioned earlier Metro first.

PP is very harsh. I make a diluted stock solution first at 12grams into 300mls of distilled water (300mls water first then add PP to make 315mls total. Do not add PP first then make up to 300mls, the slight extra concentration may make a diference) and then add 1ml per 20ltrs from that which gives me 1ppm. Read up on it first as I have read that it will attack and burn any organic material especially sensitive gill tissue and your fingers. Never add to a tank with any plants.

  • Author

Thanks for the info Guys,

Started him on Metro last night, did a complete water change, added the Metro Tablet to small quick seal bag, crushed it untill very fine, then added a small amount of warm water to the bag to dissolve it, put the bag in the Tank to empty out the contents, repeated the whole process again this before heading to work this morning.

Have raised the Temp to 32-33

Will be repeating this process untill he has had a total of 6 Tablets.

He is looking abit brighter this morning :wink:

He still not eating, but I'm told this is normal for some fish on meds, so will offer him small amounts of Bloodworm everyday, untill hopefully in the very near future he will happily take it :D

Thanks for the info Guys,

Started him on Metro last night, did a complete water change, added the Metro Tablet to small quick seal bag, crushed it untill very fine, then added a small amount of warm water to the bag to dissolve it, put the bag in the Tank to empty out the contents, repeated the whole process again this before heading to work this morning.

Have raised the Temp to 32-33

Will be repeating this process untill he has had a total of 6 Tablets.

He is looking abit brighter this morning :wink:

He still not eating, but I'm told this is normal for some fish on meds, so will offer him small amounts of Bloodworm everyday, untill hopefully in the very near future he will happily take it :D

hi LYNDYLOO...who told you to raised temp to 32-33 ?...

metro treatment should be 1gm per 100L of water and 1gm to mix with 100gm to feed

Never add to a tank with any plants

In my experience plants are OK with PP solutions, even strong solutions for 24 hours.

This kills all algae, even BGA, but is not harmful for the plants.

Stronger slow growing plants are ok for up to 48 hours.

After this it is at your own risk.

The Discus Breeder I got the Discus from, told me to raise the Temp to 32-33.

No point in mixing meds with his Food, as he isn't eating.

Lynda

I would agree with this way of treating too. After the fish recovers enough to eat then mix with food. I don’t know why we raise the temp, perhaps to speed up the life cycle of the parasite? Or it could be because a good number if parasites cannot deal with extended high temperatures.

An old book about discus claims that in a test tank full of very sick discus a heater failed and the temperature got to well over 30 degrees for a few days before it was noticed and when they went to dissect a sick fish they found no live parasites in it. Discus all recovered (apart from the dissected one).

Either way it’s the way I use it to and it works.

  • Author

I have looked this up on The Simply Discus Site, and they too say when using Metro you need to up the Temp to 32-33.

To be honest I don't know alot about Discus, But I'm learning very quickly, when It's comes to medicating them I would rather do as some one experienced says than to try and work it out for myself.

  • Author

Ok, Mr Blue Turk had now finished his course of Metro :bounce:

I'm very pleased to say, he finally ate some Bloodworms last night, he hadn't eaten for about 2 weeks, I was getting rather worried about him dying of Starvation, but was assured this wouldn't happen.

So he's looking pretty good now, will leave him in the Hospital Tank for couple of weeks before putting him back into the Main Tank.

Thanks for all your help Guys and Girls :hail:

As mentioned before by Bilbo, my understanding of upping the temp to 32 degrees is that parasites can not live / bread at such high tempertures. Ich in particular spread like crazzy at 28 degrees but compleetly die out at 30 - 32 (i'm sure I read that somewhere).

I also read that if you cant get your hands on metro, having the temp slightly above 32 will achieve the same thing (can anyoen back this?).

  • Author

Not quite sure why Vincent is questioning me about turning the Temp upto 32-33, I was told too by the Breeder I got the Discus off.

All the Info I have read says when using Metro turn the Temp upto 32-33.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.