Plant fertilizer...

nemines

well, they have 20mg calcium, 33.4mg magnesium oxide, 9.8mg ferrous fumarate, 2.5 mg chromium chelate, 25 mg selenium chelate, 10mg manganese chelate 47mg potassium chelate and iron oxide....

So, I thought I'd give it a go... i did say experiment

Plants and humans don't need totally different things, we eat plants because they contain stuff they've absorbed, they need, which we also need.

I will let you know what happens :lol:

Plants and humans don't need totally different things, we eat plants because they contain stuff they've absorbed, they need, which we also need.

You ever eaten Potassium Sulfate or Potassium nitrate? Plants and people need totally different things

Plants don't just abrosb things and store it...there is more to it

Soak the dirt first and do water changes so it gases off.

Can't remember the specific reasons why though.

Why don't you just get a bag of Dalton's aquatic mix?

IME oxygen weed and indian fern grows like a weed without any supplements.

Perhaps you could experiment with more difficult plants, like ones which require high light, or are slow growers, as in Anubias spp.

• 2 weeks later...
I was only thinking of doing it in a bucket with say oxy weed or indian fern...would never risk fish.

But judging by some people's comments, even that would be stupid...so i'll experiment with worm castings instead. :roll: :D

LOL it sounds like you're in an experimental mood! It certainly can't hurt to experiment on plants in a bucket (no fish). The worst that can happen is your bucket of plants will go nasty and rot - then you chuck the whole lot on the garden and call it mulch and start a new experiment! :lol:

I think you should get three buckets.

1) Just put water and plants, no additives

2) Water, plants & human vitamin supplements

3) Water, plants & worm castings

Make sure all buckets have the same amount of light, heat, etc.

Weigh your plants and put exactly the same weight of plants in each bucket.

Document everything you do, and make sure you do the same for each bucket.

Take photos of each bucket, each day so you can easily observe changes.

Once a week, take the plants out of each bucket & weigh them to judge growth rates.

Then come back here and tell us exactly what happened.

Actaully I would like to see another bucket with either PMDD or a commercially formulated plant food. It would be interesting to compare your ad hoc plant foods with something that was specifically designed to do the job.