Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

is this a bubble nest

Featured Replies

BikBok-bubbles-14y.jpg

My male betta shares a 22 L tank with a Bristlenose. Each morning there is bubbles on top. Is it a bubble nest or surface scum?

I've been sucking them up each day along with the top layer of water in case it was caused by scum .. then it stopped for a while. But this mroning more bubbles. I have been doing regular water changes (once, sometimes twice a week).

The filter is set to low but if it's scum maybe I should increase the strength. But if it's a bubblenest .. I don't want to annoy him by destroying it each day!

When I got him 3 weeks ago he had just finished a bubblenest that morning at his breeders. So maybe it is?

I am not planning on breeding him although I do have a female betta in another tank.

it does look like one. i dont think youll upset him by taking it away he will just make another one. i thought that too when i got my first male betta. nice looking nest...what does ur male look like?

  • Author

he's a blue veil tail.. I want to work my way up to something fancy one day. Once I'm sure I know what I'm doing lol.

BikBok-sayid-l0m.jpg

BikBok-hexy-bti.jpg

what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents.

if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me )

Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days.

If you destroy it he's just build another.

Yeah we got that :wink:

Yeah we got that :wink:

yep - the stupid thing said that there was another post and did I still want to post - so I submitted and ended up with it twice.

duh :oops:

  • Author
what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents.

if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me )

The current is low becuase the filter flow is adjustable and the outlet also has a silencer spout that can rest right on the water if I want. but when I've turned it up after cleaning, he hasn't minded the extra current at all.

I won't try breeding with the current setup , it all looks a bit difficult anyway!

Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days.

If you destroy it he's just build another.

Well I'll leave it then and see how big it gets!

Yep, that's a bubble nest. My fighter was building some quite impressive ones, not as big as the dwarf gourami's though, but he hasn't made any since he moved tanks. But one of my females makes bubble nests better than him.

a female making a nest hmmmmmm id question her?

I'm thinking short fin male - is it aggressive? Can you post a pic. I know females can build nests but they are usually hermaphrodite.

not going to give up but have to slow down until we come back from holiday - have about 300 fry atm.

is that all :lol: must have near 500 in total and hubby wants to breed our crowntail girl who is ready.

What are they?

Oooooh dat ones a seeeecreeettttttt!!!!!

Will let you know in a couple of weeks if they are any good. :wink:

otherwise the eel will be a happy eel :lol:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.