June 20, 200917 yr comment_313555 My male betta shares a 22 L tank with a Bristlenose. Each morning there is bubbles on top. Is it a bubble nest or surface scum? I've been sucking them up each day along with the top layer of water in case it was caused by scum .. then it stopped for a while. But this mroning more bubbles. I have been doing regular water changes (once, sometimes twice a week). The filter is set to low but if it's scum maybe I should increase the strength. But if it's a bubblenest .. I don't want to annoy him by destroying it each day! When I got him 3 weeks ago he had just finished a bubblenest that morning at his breeders. So maybe it is? I am not planning on breeding him although I do have a female betta in another tank. Report
June 20, 200917 yr comment_313556 it does look like one. i dont think youll upset him by taking it away he will just make another one. i thought that too when i got my first male betta. nice looking nest...what does ur male look like? Report
June 20, 200917 yr Author comment_313557 he's a blue veil tail.. I want to work my way up to something fancy one day. Once I'm sure I know what I'm doing lol. Report
June 20, 200917 yr comment_313560 what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents. if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me ) Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313581 Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days. If you destroy it he's just build another. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313582 Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days. If you destroy it he's just build another. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313584 Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days. If you destroy it he's just build another. Yeah we got that Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313589 Yeah we got that yep - the stupid thing said that there was another post and did I still want to post - so I submitted and ended up with it twice. duh :oops: Report
June 21, 200917 yr Author comment_313590 what a nice looking tank and fish. he looks happy, they only build nests when happy (or so im told). and i doubt that much scum would build up over night. be careful with filter current, sometimes the boys dont like strong currents. if you do breed, be careful you will fall in love with at least half ur fry and not want them to go away. (thats what has happened to me ) The current is low becuase the filter flow is adjustable and the outlet also has a silencer spout that can rest right on the water if I want. but when I've turned it up after cleaning, he hasn't minded the extra current at all. I won't try breeding with the current setup , it all looks a bit difficult anyway! Definitely a bubble nest. If you leave it it may cover the entire surface in a few days. If you destroy it he's just build another. Well I'll leave it then and see how big it gets! Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313596 Yep, that's a bubble nest. My fighter was building some quite impressive ones, not as big as the dwarf gourami's though, but he hasn't made any since he moved tanks. But one of my females makes bubble nests better than him. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313623 a female making a nest hmmmmmm id question her? I'm thinking short fin male - is it aggressive? Can you post a pic. I know females can build nests but they are usually hermaphrodite. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313627 I know females can build nests but they are usually hermaphrodite. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313633 Doesn't always work that way :lol: Could be Nest + Male + Female = Frustrations :lol: so true! Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313642 not going to give up but have to slow down until we come back from holiday - have about 300 fry atm. Report
June 21, 200917 yr comment_313669 not going to give up but have to slow down until we come back from holiday - have about 300 fry atm. is that all :lol: must have near 500 in total and hubby wants to breed our crowntail girl who is ready. Report
June 22, 200917 yr comment_313783 What are they? Oooooh dat ones a seeeecreeettttttt!!!!! Will let you know in a couple of weeks if they are any good. otherwise the eel will be a happy eel :lol: Report
June 22, 200917 yr comment_313789 Oooooh dat ones a seeeecreeettttttt!!!!! Will let you know in a couple of weeks if they are any good. otherwise the eel will be a happy eel :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.