Is my CF1200 big enough??

LYNDYLOO

Well seeing as carbon bonds with most things, it attaches to all the dissolved solids and thus polishes the water. But will start breaking down and releasing the stuff again ~48hours.

It is clearly not just for meds.

Carbon can't bind to plant and food decay and poo and stuff the van der waals forces are not strong enough for plant, food materials...it doesn't 'polish' water it retains atoms and molecules small enough :roll: the breakdown stage is on the bio noodles etc..really not that a difficult concept.

if you want to keep water clear try a UV filter on top of your original filter for algae control or find a canister with inbuilt UV light.

I looked at buying a Sunsun External Filter with a built in UV Light.

But it was suggested by quite a few people here that I wouldn't need a Filter with a built in UV Light.

Maybe thats the way I should have gone instead of getting the CF1200 :roll:

I looked at buying a Sunsun External Filter with a built in UV Light.

But it was suggested by quite a few people here that I wouldn't need a Filter with a built in UV Light.

Maybe thats the way I should have gone instead of getting the CF1200 :roll:

Only good for waterborne algae, which is not the case here.

Carbon can't bind to plant and food decay and poo and stuff the van der waals forces are not strong enough for plant, food materials...it doesn't 'polish' water it retains atoms and molecules small enough :roll: the breakdown stage is on the bio noodles etc..really not that a difficult concept.

if you want to keep water clear try a UV filter on top of your original filter for algae control or find a canister with inbuilt UV light.

Clearly with three 70% water changes a week there is not a lot of plant and food materials.

I stated DISSOLVED solids, not "Poo and stuff".

I didn't think reading short sentences was really that difficult a concept neither :roll:

Do yourself a favour and get rid of the bioballs

they are not suited to a canister filter but they all supply the cos they are cheap

Bioballs have small dead spots which creates areas for dead bacteria

They are perfect to use in a wet dry area

Replace with Matrix or something similiar

Charcoal is great too as it removes alot from the water

Though this removes good and bad but keeping getting it replaced often

Id say the tank is never going through a cycle as your doing so many water changes

Purigen is also something id reccomend instead of Charcoal for a long term use

Its amazing for getting tanks crystal clean

Brad

Awesome Guys :bounce:

Thanks for that info, will head to the Petshop tomorrow, and grab some Purigen.

Will also get rid of the Bio Balls, I have some Eheim Substrate Pro, cost me $100 for a box of it, so I'm thinking it's got to be pretty good :wink: it says it's Sintered Quartz, so I'm assuming thats what you are talking about Ron.

Now if I replace the Bio Balls and fill up the 2 trays with the Sintered Quartz, and add the Purigen, is this going to cause the Tank to Cycle??

As I will be taking out most of the exsisting media from the Filter??

If I use Purigen, do I have to remove the Carbon that I now have in my Filter??

Also, where am I meant to put this Purigen? Can somebody give me the Brand Name of it, not sure the Pet shop here will stock it, might have to make a trip to Palmy.

Thanks for all you ideas they have been fantasic :hail:

Don't stock purigen in palmy either :cry:

let me know if you find any though.

those bio chem zorb thing mentioned earlier; they come in pouches in a plastic jar. you fill the jar with water, and cover it for 10 minutes, and wait as the pouch activates. some of them get hot cause of the reaction - and then after 10 mins you put it in your filter.

Awesome Guys :bounce:

Thanks for that info, will head to the Petshop tomorrow, and grab some Purigen.

Will also get rid of the Bio Balls, I have some Eheim Substrate Pro, cost me $100 for a box of it, so I'm thinking it's got to be pretty good :wink: it says it's Sintered Quartz, so I'm assuming thats what you are talking about Ron.

Now if I replace the Bio Balls and fill up the 2 trays with the Sintered Quartz, and add the Purigen, is this going to cause the Tank to Cycle??

As I will be taking out most of the exsisting media from the Filter??

If I use Purigen, do I have to remove the Carbon that I now have in my Filter??

Also, where am I meant to put this Purigen? Can somebody give me the Brand Name of it, not sure the Pet shop here will stock it, might have to make a trip to Palmy.

Thanks for all you ideas they have been fantasic :hail:

If I cant get hold of Purigen anywhere down this way will have to get some from Hollywood Fish Farm.

This is the write up they have on there website:

Seachem Purigen

Purigen is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is not any other filtration product. It's not a mix of ionexchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities.

Purigen is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

Sizes: 100 mL (bagged), 250 mL

How much of this am I going to need to put in my External Filter, and where in the Filter do I put it??

Do I get rid of the Carbon that is in there at the moment??

Not sure if I need to buy the 100ml or 250ml.