What pleco or bristlenose to chose

oeminx

Ok so I what to add a Plec or BS to my community tank to help control BBA and other alge, I have ottos in there but they need a helping hand. I find that GAE's and SAE's digg to much.

So the requirements. I hope something can fill them all

- Have to be ok with Killies, ottos and corys

- Doesn't dig

- and i'm on a budget so some of the very cool 8) plec might be out of the question :(

If you are wanting something to control algae you will need to do your research as alot of "catfish" will not eat algae or much of it and some will only eat it when small.

so this could limit your choices unless you choose it cause you like the "catfish" and then "if" it cleans your tank consider it a bonus.

with algae it is atually better if you can find why the algae appears in the first place and control it that way rather than getting something to do away with it after.

Well as for algae I get BBA on some of the slower growing leaves of my anubias nana and some green aglae on my wood but not much. I have also increased the water changes and it is helping slowly.

I was thinking of a plec or something smiler as I think they are pretty cool and if I found one that could help the ottos out i would be killing 2 bird with one stone.

Remember to think about how big they get, and what final size will work in your tank.

This is a very good point and something I was thinking about but forgot to put in the original post.

I quite like the idea of a whiptail or two. :D

Ok so some whiptail Q's

Will the chop on my plants?

Will they be aright with my other fish? (as above Otto, Australe and clown killies, Corys)

they are total doofbags, lol.. wont harm any thing.

have been good with plants in my old planted tank.

will get on with all your fish. and by get on i mean they wont bother them.

You say it as if there is only one type of whiptail :o :lol:

they all come in peace :lol:

i had at various stages : royals, pinochio (Spelling??), reds, some weird flat brown ones.. etc..

all peaceful

Pinocchio's were my favourite (that's what the list called them any how- they have long noses).