Is it safe to have tanks supported on two edges only?

twinkles

I've seen alot of tank racks like this, but i'm rather dubious about it.

I want to build a rack to hold 2x 600mm long tanks, 300wide, with the long sides sitting on 5x10mm woods, and the short sides on air, no floor to the shelf so its just the front and back wood.

From what i can find on google it seems common, but i worry the bottom will fall out of the tanks.

Has anyone got their tanks like that or do they cave in?

I'll be putting poly underneath the tanks, so i don't see them being banged from underneath. I could put beams on the short sides as well, but don't want to if its not necessary. At the moment i'm planning on putting them on the ends anyway so they'll be supported on 3 sides really

It should be reasonably safe. In the US most tanks, even huge ones, are only supported on the edges. I'm not sure why the preference, but I've met people that will chase you with a knife(metaphorically) if you even think to suggest that the entire base supported is better.

• 1 month later...

lol i'm slack at updating

here's some of the tanks

DSCF6403.JPG

DSCF6404.JPG

DSCF6408.JPG

only just realised when i went to take pics that the left bottom tank is so far back its only supported by the poly on the front edge, only the back is sitting on the beam :o

goes to show how little they need to support them lol

*me runs off to drain tank and move it*

like my homemade sponge filter?

I stripped down and moved a 5ft tank a couple of weeks ago, The tank is on a steel stand. Put the poly sheet on, filled the tank, got the fish in , looked beautiful. Turned around and gasped when I saw the sheet of chipboard that the tank sits on standing behind me.

I remembered reading this topic so I thought ok I'm going to take a chance here. So the tank is supported around the edges only. Mind you its all 4 edges. 2 weeks now so should be sweet. :-?

don't know how much effect the ial has on helping them spawn, haven't used it before, but it certainly makes the bubbles stronger. I had a little airstone in the corner of my boys tank and when i put the leaf in it even made the bubbles from that clump together on the surface. I'll post a pic of his nest later.

the tiny fry in the tank are snakeskin guppies, the ones in the jars are a pile of random guppies i'd just been fishing out of our community tank to try and get rid of. There's another one of those cube tanks with killi fry and a tank up top with the australes.