Can you keep a few different cichlids in a small tank?

Yworry

Hey

Never had African cichlids before but have a spare 60L - 2ft tank and was wondering if there's anything I could put in there? Pet shop said they work well in overcrowded tank (to a point) as it stops alot of aggression. I would've thought the opposite and reduces there own territory but any advice would be cool. Would like some peacocks and E. Yellows & blues maybe?

But thought I'd check from the people that have experimented with situations as every fish profile I read says much bigger tanks are needed.

Thanks in advance :hail:

I have a 2 ft tank in my office

I have it moderately planted with stem plants and crypts.

It has a few guppies as dithers and a pair of dwarfs.

I have at home a few 2 fters set up in a simular fashion

If you didnt want to keep dwarfs you could look at a rocky biotype with Jullies or brichardi or luelupi but 2 ft would be pushing it a bit unless creatively aquascaped.

especially if you didnt get the gender ratio right.

But I have done all these things in the past so know it works.

I would steer clear or the big cichlids anything like Mumba, haps , peacocks etc and look more at Kribs, Nannos, Apistos, and the above. These are also more easily replaced if something should go wrong

HTH

Navarre

I would have to agree with all the above comments..

At most I would keep a single pair of jullies or brichardi in a 2ft tank but they would have to be very compatible and you would have to remove fry as they got larger.

Definately not suitable for anything but an initial grow out for mbuna/haps/peacocks. If you cannot have a bigger tank at this stage then definately go down the dwarf route as Nav has suggested.

Overcrowding does work well with the africans especially mbuna it helps to spread aggression, and most malawis do well in colonies with groups of females and 1-2males.

i was just thinking of useing the babies as feeders :P

already have my 4 foot african setup and my old 2 footer is sitting doing nothing. cannot really justify having 2 display tanks so a feeder breeding tank seems like a better option

You could always just have it setup ready to go if you ever need a fry tank, hospital tank or isolation tank - when you need it, its simply a case of turning the heater on, syphoning a load of water from your 4ft, and some filter media, and away you go.

i have thought about that, however all my tanks are in my bedroom, id prefer they are full of fish/water etc.

and personally am not really into a small community tank/plants etc

i was hoping a pair of convicts in my 2 footer would be fine and feed the babies to my other fish....but i guess not :( back to the drawing board i guess

You could give the convicts ago. The smallest I've had breeding pairs in was 3 foot.

Really depends on the fish, usually the females tend to get very stroppy and pick on the male - but in saying that I have had pairs that have been awesome and not aggro at all

Trial & error :bounce:

Paul if you are going to do that then try jewels as they are better looking fish spawn more regularly and harder to get rid of...lol

Or guppies but they would do better with substrate.

Work either way

So might as well make it an enjoyable tank?

Jewels were the previous occupants of the 2 footer, loved them to bits however the male decided to keep killing his females. even put the male and 2 females in their own 4 footer and the male still killed more females so decided to give up on the jewels.

were really amazing fish, just a pity my male was so agressive, maybe if i could find a pair that got along well id have a go at jewels again