Obtaining breeding stock

Peter McLeod

I thought it would be important to write a bit of information on where would be the best places to get reasonable breeding stock to start your new lines.

I have a few virgin females with different characteristics if you have found a nice male and want to get a female or two and try to get a line going.

I am not going to charge anyone for this.I would eventually like to either be in buisiness or be working with something to do with aquarium fish, but this is my hobby and I get much enjoyment from helping people, and learning more about the hobby.The females I have that may be useful to you are;

H/B blue

H/B green

Neon green

I have H/B yellow females that are about one month old and a few females who's mother was a neutral female and father H/B red.

If you are serious about breeding I also have two other strains I am working on.Leopards, and an orange red sort of like a flamingo coloured guppy that have been pre-hit or (mated) back to their father.I have not got many of these but if you are realy serious I am happy to part with a couple.I should have some trio's of Kelly Rennels fish available in a couple of months.They are H/B blues.They range in colour from a light green/blue to a very dark blue, with very large delta tails for their body size.

Other places that I have found guppies that might be useful are;

PETWORLD in Christchurch who sell guppies in pairs.If you ring and ask them they will be able to tell you what is available.They also have the larger hybrids if you want to start with something different.You can use these males over your own virgin females.If you follow a good line-breeding program,try to cross the male at least with his daughters and with his grand-daughters if he is still around, you should start to see some results after 3-4 generations.

If you live in the north Island ask your petshop if they can obtain fish from Aquascope.They are NZ raised and even if you are only after fish for a display tank I think you will find them hardy and prolific.They don't just supply guppies!!! they have a good range of fish and for the quality are very reasonably priced.

I will leave my PH number here because my computer may be off line for a while.If you want some fish please contact me, you can drop by and pick them up if you want or I will try to find another way to get them to you.

PH; (07) 3477645

Peter

• 1 year later...
I have a few virgin females with different characteristics if you have found a nice male and want to get a female or two and try to get a line going.

Peter,

I am unsure if the offer still stands - but I am very interested in getting into some serious breeding of Guppies and Bettas - it will take me a while to get set up - but as the post was over a year ago - thought I would touch base and see where you are now...I am particularly interested in some long fin variants I have seen a few times throught Brooklands and Aquascope....

Oh and BTW - where do you live?

~FancyFins~

• 4 weeks later...