Plant for foreground?

tinytawnykitten

I recently got some grass from Animates Mt Wellington (I think), cost about $11.00 :o but it's starting to spread out now. It's about 7 cms tall and looks kind of like regualr lawn grass. http://fuzzyneural.net/documents/image/aquarium/image-hairgrass.jpg

is that your tank?

hairgrass gets really tall unless you can get the dwarf variety - not so common.

Generally most foregroung, lawn effect type of plants require very bright lighting conditions.

Glosso is awesome for foregrounds and I can send you some if you like , but it needs good light or else it becomes straggly and dies off.

Hair grass is messy unless trimmed regularly.

Sag Subulata is good and as Phoenix stated will grow tall in bright light.

HTH

Olly, Pm me and I can send you some if you like. Or bring you some to the next fish meeting if you attend.

Yes it grow in cold water, in fact I originally got mine from a local stream. ( I have been propagating it for the last few months)

Most waterways in NZ are not 22-26 deg. This is a country with mainly temperate climate. The problem is not usually temperature but light. There is a variety of Sag which does not not grow tall and only needs moderate light (will do better in good light) called Sagittaria microfolia. Otheres needing good light but remaining shortish would include Echinodorus quadricostatus, tenellus latifolius, tenellus tenellus, tenellus parvula. They all need pretty good light and a bit of calcium.