gravel for planting aquatic plants

Alienara

I've been reading up on a number of books about how to start an aquarium etc etc and they said to have gravel for the base of the aquarium and plant plants there. Now when we're talking about gravel are we talking about tiny stones or almost sandlike stones?

Also, if i'm going to be breeding guppies, what kind of filters / aerators should i get? thanks guys.

If your tanks the right size 50L + then try using sand (aquarium sand sold at pet shops) this will make growing plants easier and stop the tiny guppy fry from going into the gravel.

otherwise use gravel (small pebbles about 1cm round) from the pet shop! :D

P.S guppies are great but make sure there are 4 females for every male.

You can get "Washed 6-8mm rounds" from almost any landscaping place. We got 30kg for $6 from Crusaders Garden Makers here in CHCH. Good stuff, it's quite dark and is an alright size. I've got some new smaller stuff from Redwood that's better for plants now, it's about 1-3mm. So it's heavy like gravel, and doesn't stir or float around, but it's also quite light and good for rooting plants.

As far as plants are concerned, the smaller the better. But make sure it's pH neutral :].

Edit: Oh, and if you're going to breed guppies make sure you've got some sort of mesh over your filter inlet. And also, you'll need a lot of bushy low-light plants to provide cover for the fry.

If your tanks the right size 50L + then try using sand (aquarium sand sold at pet shops) this will make growing plants easier and stop the tiny guppy fry from going into the gravel.

otherwise use gravel (small pebbles about 1cm round) from the pet shop! :D

P.S guppies are great but make sure there are 4 females for every male.

4 females per male?!?!?!?!?! OMG!!!!! isn't that too much? also i've been reading about genetics and the attempts to create a strain of pure guppies... it says that i've to separate them according to the generations so i don't get mixed up... doesn' that mean that i'll need 2 tanks for each generation of fry?!?!?!?!? >.< 4 females to a male... gosh....

You can get "Washed 6-8mm rounds" from almost any landscaping place. We got 30kg for $6 from Crusaders Garden Makers here in CHCH. Good stuff, it's quite dark and is an alright size. I've got some new smaller stuff from Redwood that's better for plants now, it's about 1-3mm. So it's heavy like gravel, and doesn't stir or float around, but it's also quite light and good for rooting plants.

As far as plants are concerned, the smaller the better. But make sure it's pH neutral :].

Edit: Oh, and if you're going to breed guppies make sure you've got some sort of mesh over your filter inlet. And also, you'll need a lot of bushy low-light plants to provide cover for the fry.

yeah i was thinking about the mesh as well.. otherwise up goes the fry... i was thinking of using real small stones coz i've heard that if u use sand it can get stirred up and like the fry can get sucked up into your filter and cause you endless grief. so if i went for 1-3mm stones i'm pretty much sweet and the plants will b ok to propagate right?

thanks guys.

plant growth depends on:

1. Lighting

2. Nutrient in the substrate and

3. Nutrient in the water.

Match the wavelength of the light you are using to the type of plants you want. same with intensity of light.

how wld i match wavelengths?

what plants did you want?

what size is the tank (how high, deep and long);

There are lots and lots of cheap alternatives, to what is otherwise an expensive aspect of the hobby.

as a general rule most people on here, with great success will use 6500K and 10000K spectrum lights.

18000K lights are also available, but are horrendously expensive (as t5 HO tubes - ~$60+ each) as compared to the others that you can get from an electric supplier for $5-10.

I use 18000K tubes, and the plant growth was phenomenal. the other spectra seems great too, as heaps oof people on here use them with great results (have a look in the plants section).

but another aspect is that the lights have to be powerful enough to penetrate the water, and reach the base of the tank, so plants can fully utilise the light that does reach them.

HTH

what plants did you want?

what size is the tank (how high, deep and long);

There are lots and lots of cheap alternatives, to what is otherwise an expensive aspect of the hobby.

as a general rule most people on here, with great success will use 6500K and 10000K spectrum lights.

18000K lights are also available, but are horrendously expensive (as t5 HO tubes - ~$60+ each) as compared to the others that you can get from an electric supplier for $5-10.

I use 18000K tubes, and the plant growth was phenomenal. the other spectra seems great too, as heaps oof people on here use them with great results (have a look in the plants section).

but another aspect is that the lights have to be powerful enough to penetrate the water, and reach the base of the tank, so plants can fully utilise the light that does reach them.

HTH

I'm thinking of some floating plants like Indian fern(?) and maybe some low and medium length plants... I've heard that fluorescent light is quite good for aquariums?

I've been thinking and trying to design an organic(?) filter system... you know how we have those water filters that have rocks, stones, pebbles etc etc, and you can drink from them? is it possible to create something like that for aquariums as well?

4 females per male?!?!?!?!?! OMG!!!!! isn't that too much? also i've been reading about genetics and the attempts to create a strain of pure guppies... it says that i've to separate them according to the generations so i don't get mixed up... doesn' that mean that i'll need 2 tanks for each generation of fry?!?!?!?!? >.< 4 females to a male... gosh....

You'd probably be just as good off with 3 female, depending on their size

do you guys not do anything else except watch the forums all day?!?!?!?!??!?! everyone's replying so quickly!!!!!

One of them I know should be doing uni assignments, not making excuses about helping people... :wink:

ok now last question... I've been thinking and trying to design an organic(?) filter system... you know how we have those water filters that have rocks, stones, pebbles etc etc, and you can drink from them? is it possible to create something like that for aquariums as well? or would that cause the water to become too hard / soft?

also i'm gonna go with a 60 x 30 x 30 for a community tank and hatchery, should 30 x 30 x 30 be enough for a breeding tank?

hi great size tank (I have 2), maybe 3 to 1 male would be enough but I keep guppies and no from experience that if there is to many males the females are constantly harassed and the males try to breed with fish that are already pregnant! :lol:

also about generations thing this is a great idea! but all I can say is good luck, as the males will breed with anything that moves. :D

yes 30x30x30 is a good breeding size just watch how many fish are in there at once.

The way I was thinking about it... was to have a community tank in my home where I can show off my fishes, have a holding tank for the males and different holding tank for the females somewhere else in my new home, haven't even found one yet... and then bringing selected guppies to breed in the breeding tank. probably gonna take some random bunch of guppies to start off with and let them breed the heck outta each other and find a strain that i like... hahah

• 3 weeks later...