hi hi

Alienara

Hey there guys,

Was very interested as a kid in fishes and breeding them but never really knew about the conditions and stuff. Decided to pick up a new hobby and decided to go for fishes and breeding them. Thinking of starting off with some hardy fishes and guppies are my 1st choice coz of their colour and beauty.

Hope to pick up some really good tips from you experienced breeders and looking forward to finding a home that will allow me to finally have my own aquarium room haha. As of right now, equipment = 0. Thinking of buying the majority of them overseas when I go travelling in 3 months time. Probably cheaper than here.

Hi & welcome!

You'll be starting a great hobby! People are fantastic here always eager to help. I'm the opposite of you though, no breeding for my fishies if I can help it :o :lol:

Take care & have fun,

Caper

Hi and welcome. I have just returned from the UK and Canada (just got home after over 15 hours flying, my arms are tired) but only looked at fish prices, not equipment (as I have no idea what stuff costs here). It seemed to be about the same price-wise as far as I could tell in the UK but they have a wider range (I didn't see any pet shops in Canada). If you buy overseas and then have trouble within the warranty period it may be difficult getting replacements or refunds.

I suggest you add your location to your profile as you may get more detailed help at times if your location is known (help setting up, filter squeezings, free or cheap fish or plants etc). You will find it in your User Control Panel.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. I was thinking of getting the equipment from Malaysia as stuff in Asian countries appear to be cheaper. Wondering how hard it would be if I wanted to import fishes from there as well though...

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. I was thinking of getting the equipment from Malaysia as stuff in Asian countries appear to be cheaper. Wondering how hard it would be if I wanted to import fishes from there as well though...

Importing fish = $$$$$ in the 5 digit range unless you have a quarantine facility.

hello, and welcome Alienara. Equipment in those countries will be cheaper, especially if you know where the wholesale / grey markets are - but none of the equipment has the slightest chance of having a warranty that is valid in NZ. so its a tradeoff with price and after sales service and reliability really.

Best of luck with the hobby!

Importing fish = $$$$$ in the 5 digit range unless you have a quarantine facility.

ouch.... looks like i'll have to start off my commercial breeding smaller than i thought then.. LOL jokes... but yeah i'll definitely be looking at the grey markets and such for the equipment. not too fussed about the warranties though since i grew up there and warranties there are literally non-existent...

Welcome Alienara,

Guppies are a great fish to introduce you to fish keeping and breeding. They just keep coming. :lol: Any problems with them too, all info here. If not ask, and i am sure somone would help out with advice. You never know it all, in this game. Enjoy the forums. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: