Fishless cycle in 8 footer ala naturale & Herbie system

kiwiplymouth

I spent last weekend setting up my new 8 footer and sump etc etc.

I wanted a heap of shells in the sump for buffering, minerals etc as we are on rain water.

I kept approx 20L of pipi shells from a recent hunt and gather and after we ate the pipi's i added the shells to the sump. The remaining meat and skirt was left on the shells and is now starting to decompose in the tank. After one week I now have an ammonia level of 1.2ppm.

Its looking good for a fishless cycle.

Comments and advice appreciated. Cheers

P.S I decided on the "herbie" system to keep the overflow noise to a minimum and I am really impressed with the outcome. Has anyone else used this system ?

http://dinardiengineering.com:80/blog/?p=34

Congrats on getting the tank up and running, I would love to have an 8f tank :)

IMO There is almost no point in doing a fishless cycle on an 8ft tank just gradually stock it up anything that builds up will be diluted in so much water it wont harm the fish.. However now you have the meat and stuff in there working it wont hurt to wait as I am sure you are aware until the ammonia drops off before adding anything:)

Any pics of tank? And what is going in it?

I wasn't going to post pics yet as it is still a work in progress.

The sump is a mess, the difusser for the wet/dry is not yet installed. the filter media is not properly contained, the lights,hood and doors are not on yet, not to mentaion the aquascaping is not done and the fact that wife has put a horrible plastic plant in it as well as a couple of angels.

It has a 160L sump, an 8000lph pump and the fish that i plan to add are 2 x ornates, 2x talking cats, 1x fire eel, 1 x BGK, 1 x plec and 1x oscar

overflow

2009_05220067.jpg

sump before wet/dry

2009_05220068.jpg

Shells

2009_05220069.jpg

Wifes horrible plastic bits

2009_05220071.jpg

overview

2009_05220073.jpg

nice one :wink:

I presume an 8footer for the plecos is on the cards too? :bounce:

Not at the moment, once this tank is up and running I will have a spare 4 footer and 5 footer that I have already have earmarked for pleco's.

But if ive learnt anything since ive been keeping fish it is to never say never :D

Looks good, but most of those fish will prefer softer water so you might need to get rid of the shells (or some of them). What is the pH of the water you're adding to the tank? Unless its well below 6 I wouldn't worry.

My ph test kit only goes down to 6 and that is what the results show. So my ph is 6 or less

I can't believe it.

I did my normal ammonia test today and it had gone down a little so i decided to test the nitrite.

It was off the chart. I have never seen a tank produce nitrite so quick.

I recon that it has only been at operating temp for 7-8 days.

Its was a mad rush to remove the angels.

I also did a ph test and its at 7.4 Im cool with that but will keep a close eye on it.

Very nice Kiwi! :bow::bow:

I have White Angels in mine too.

Wat are the measurements of the tank?

Thanks mystic. Its 2400 x 750 x 500.

Sometimes i think that i should have gone 600 wide but 500 suits the room better.

Its not quite 8 foot but 8 foot sounds better than 7.87 foot :D

The fishless cycle is now complete and only two weeks from when it started.

ammonia 0. nitrite 0. nitrate 10ppm. ph 7.4. kh and gh both 71.6 ppm :bounce:

I did a 10% water change and added 1 oscar, 1 pleco and 1 BGK all about 30cm in size.

I plan to do daily water checks for a while yet and slowly add the ornates, fire eel and perhaps a couple of chocolate talking cats. :D