Best fish to eat snails?

Mel

My yoyo has become lazy on the ramshorns, i have to break a bit of shell off and then it hooks right into them.cleaned out the pond snails straight away tho.I think my young clowns have made a a dent in the trumpet snails but they're not bad snails to have.My gold zebras seem to only eat tropical and brine shrimp flake. my kuhlis wont even approach a sinking pellet if the snails are there first. Was in palmy yesterday and animaniacs had heaps of cool little loaches.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trumpet snails are the hardest to get rid of because they burrow in the substrate, and come out at night. But loaches should eat them, albeit slowly.

Haha you'd love my Angel grow out tank...HEAPS of giant fat trumpet snails :evil: hate them to pieces

Yea I brought 10 trumpets off TM and thought they were so cool :evil: not now .. they are just everywhere .. it's in the evenings they are really bad they all start to crawl up the glass, just looks terrible

UPDATE: I brought 2 zebra loaches today so fingers crossed they will knock off the snails :D

I wanted a bigger group but thats all they had at the LFS

So they are available!?!? Why can my LFS not get any then?? I've been waiting for ages for them to get some in, they keep saying oh its the wrong season or excuses like that. :evil:

So they are available!?!? Why can my LFS not get any then?? I've been waiting for ages for them to get some in, they keep saying oh its the wrong season or excuses like that. :evil:

i got them at animates PNth, maybe ry your nearest animates to see if they can order them in for you :D

:( OK so the zebra loaches are in quantine (sp?) I put 5 trumpet snails in with them on Sunday ... and the snails are STILL there alive and NOT eaten!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Maybe I have brought the lazy loaches that won't eat snails :(

er, scuse me guys, this might be a silly question BUT... do kuhli loaches eat snails? I have noticed that my little tank with just kuhli's and a fighter have not snails but the other marginally bigger tank has loads of dem. I am a newby (had my aquariums for 4 weeks now) so my apologies :oops: if this is a silly question.

Hiya JazzyJeff ... no question is a silly one :D please don't apologize

I asked that same question the other day, Kuhlis don't eat snails :(

Thanks Mel!

I have seen some dwarf loaches at Animal Antics - but the info thingee recommended 150+ Litres - my tank is only 34 litres so probably not kind to put them in there... Someone had suggested i try putting peat in the filter, this apparently prevents the shells from forming properly?

Bollocks to 150L for dwarf chain loaches. You can have 6 in a 60L and they flourish in my experience.

They are social and do best in groups of 6 or more.

Bollocks you say? Right - might go back take another look - it is possible that I was reading the wrong one, I did look at loads of different fish with different needs.

:( OK so the zebra loaches are in quantine (sp?) I put 5 trumpet snails in with them on Sunday ... and the snails are STILL there alive and NOT eaten!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Maybe I have brought the lazy loaches that won't eat snails :(

I bought 2 a couple of years ago, they rid my tank of snails within two weeks.. so.... give it some time. I guess it will depend on how large your tank is and how bad the infestation is but.. as Rachel Hunter says, "It won't happen overnight but it will happen!" :D

Ok I have sacked the loaches .. lol .. and have gone and brought a JBL limcollect snail catcher off TM :D:hail: I hope they work :hail:

Imsmith - I have not forgotten about your snails .. my plan is that the snail catcher will catch them, then I'll ship them to ya :wink: