Best FREE Antivirus

Gannet

:D:D:D Ubuntu FTW!

Avast ha slightly better detection rates, and a slightly smaller footprint, too.

Someone at work thought they were getting burgled at 3 in the morning. Turns out they'd left the laptop plugged into the stereo after watching a movie on loud, and it was the annoying American voice that Avast uses to announce "Virus database has been updated" :)

and avast talks to you! it told me that virus definitions were upto date today! nearly died when I heard that, lol.. speakers were turned up.

hahaha i did the same thing i yelled out in no uncertain terms the edit suphew:implied swearing laptop just talked bliming thing gave me a huge fright

Well it's not free, but you can't go past NOD32 antivirus. In my view it's by far the best on the average Windows desktop. (in fact NOD32 is that good, I'm ripping it out of 550 PC's at work - getting rid of McAfee.) Got all your irreplaceable kids photos backed up A good antivirus is worth it. As is a backup solution.

Yep, you've gotta have a backup. Best idea is a portable hard disk. Store it off site if you can. Then if your PC gets stolen, or your house burns down, you've still got all your data. Ditto for if your PC's hard drive bites the big one.

That won't help if your PC gets nicked, burned in a fire, or the hard drive gets bitter and twisted...

It'll stop Windoze grinding to a halt when you fill up C drive, though :) It's also good practice to have a separate partition for your swap file - stops it getting fragmented.

That won't help if your PC gets nicked, burned in a fire, or the hard drive gets bitter and twisted...

You can only go so far with security tho, fire is the hard one without a off site back up, the tiring bit is keeping them up to date.

Pulling the drives and hiding them when you go away can help reduce the risk of losing your date from being stolen

and a raid array will save you from the problems of having a drive bite the dust 500GB drive a cheap