Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FX5 filter

Featured Replies

They retail for around $600-700, animates had them half price a while back and people were picking them up for $350 brand new which is a bargain, I would expect second hand ones to be around the $300 mark but that is just a guess.

What is special about them? They are huge and pump alot of water... Sometime like 3500LPH (empty) so around 2500LPH, they are also pretty big so you can fill them with biomedia or whatever else floats your boat.

There are plenty of reviews on the net which compare it to a similar rated eheim (but twice the price) the eheim comes out on top but most can't justify paying double the price when the eheim isn't that much better. All down to personal preference I guess :)

Let me know when you're ready to sell, I'll give you $100 for that POS worthless FX5.:P

lol it is a POS but at least i got $325 back for it

size matters with a filter :lol:

DSCF1757.jpg

Mines great but today had to pay $60 for 4 metres of hose :evil:

Could you not have bought the equivalent clear hose at Bunnings for $2/metre ? (dunno if thats the price but I bet its cheaper than $15/m

Could you not have bought the equivalent clear hose at Bunnings for $2/metre ? (dunno if thats the price but I bet its cheaper than $15/m

I think it's even cheaper than that.

Dont think so, has fitted seal type thing at the end and I was halfway thru setting new tank up so didnt have time to look around.

Well if u needed to get something quick I can understand the decision but as i see it, the way that hose connects to the filter, as long as whatever tube you use fits snuggly over the solid connector and the screw up nut attaches tightly over the hose, it matters not what hose you use. The advantage of the proper stuff is that it bends without kinking.

I actually contemplated hard-plumbing my fluval into my tank (not an FX5).

  • Author

thanks for all the replys yeah looking at the price i think ill just buy a normal caninister filter in the normal 100 -300 range. If in the future it gets cheaper ill buy it but for now a cheap one will do me good

I had one for about a year. They use cheap nuts and bolts on the lid and they jam up!

Wouldnt pay more than $400 new for one

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.