all feedback and help will be welcomed

gamefreek101

i want to build a 8 foot tank 2400x700x700 out of 12mm glass what things will i need to do spec wise to make this work

ie: am i useing the rite thickness glass how much bracing will i need ect it will be sitting on sinder blocks with a 18mm mdf cover over the sinder blocks with a 20mm piece of polystirean on top of the mdf do i need to do anything else ??? please give all feedback you can to this i know its a big tank i just want to do something diffrent and something big thanks guys and girls

As already mentioned the base under the tank is going to be very very important it has to be completely level as you have a large base on that tank and glass doesn't like to flex..

From memory the tallest to go with 10mm is 600mm so 700 should be sweet with 12mm glass..

Also as I am local, I am just wondering where you are getting the glass from? Are you going to cut it yourself or get it pre cut? I haven't tried any bigger tanks but have found even smaller tanks a pain to assemble do you have any experience building tanks or any other people who will help you?

I don't know how much bracing is needed but I would do 10mm euro style bracing long ways large 10mm braces at each end and in the middle of the tank, I would also do 10mm stripes along front and back along the bottom to increase surface area for silicon to stick to, and possibly up the sides too (unsure if this is needed but a 5ft I have that is 750mm high has these).

Really you can use whatever you like for the stand, steel, wood, cinder blocks, etc. There important points to note are

1) the base the tank sits on needs to be flat (and strong enough to stay flat with the weight of the tank on it) and level. There lots of ways of doing this. The cheapest I have ever done was to pick up a second hand office desk, the modern type with a thick Formica covered particle board top. Very strong, very flat. But you could use a couple of layers of ply, some thick MDF (well sealed), etc etc

2) Legs need to be strong enough to hold the weight, but also but have to be able to take the sideways forces from people leaning on it or earthquakes etc. A lot can be done with a couple of diagonal bracing

3) The weight needs to be spread out over as big an area as possible, think about the damage ladies high heels do to wooden floors

You won't get any more satisfaction when the tank breaks and you end up with 1200 litres of water on your floor. You do realise you're talking about engineering a structure to support close to one and a half tons right? If you're into DIY then start out small, if you want a huge tank then don't play around, get someone who knows what they're doing to make you a proper stand.