L018 Gold Nugget Pair.

kiwiplymouth

Recently there was a pair of gold nuggets for sale on trademe.

After some research and good advice from a forum member I decided to take the punt and buy them. They are not a proven pair but have been living together in the same tank for quite some time without fighting, the photo's on the auction looked like a male and female but were not great shots.

I will post some pics later in the week when they arrive :bounce: :bounce:

Any info that anyone can provide from personal experience would be great :hail:

I dont think that there will be any young for sale in the near future. Even if they are a pair they will have a bit of growing to do before they reach maturity.

As for the kids. Keep an eye on private trade and exchange. there are more plecs that im after and I have 5 other kids that may be going cheap :lol:

I saw those... they were in Christchurch though... too far for me to pick up and they wouldn't ship them. Did you have to pay the buy now? If only they were in the North Is I probably would have taken a punt on them...

I LOVE plecos with nice white spots...

I hear no complaints then? :o

:lol:

Congrats on your awesome acquisition. I look forward to buying a very CHEAP gold nugget from you in the near future :lol: :hail::hail:

LOL - I only look forward to buying some MEDIUM cheap babies in the future, hehe . I nearly bid on them myself.

good luck on breeding!

I thought these species reach just over 30cm?

Also sexing is difficult unless you can tell by the ventral fin or something.

I was watching that auction another ting I noticed is that the Big spot one they were coming into the country as QUEEN GOLD NUGGET? and the other just normal gold nugget?

dont know to much about this species but good luck and enjoy them

well I hope they breed like rats! :lol: :bounce: :bounce: :D:D:D

fingers crossed for you!

Is there any point in them breeding like rats if they are different species ? If I paid a fair chunk for a pair of one species I would be pretty hacked off if they did turn out to be different. Apart from not being what they were described as, if they do breed, then we will be seeing lots of cross breeds that doubtless would be described as the wrong thing (not by Kiwiplymouth I'm sure, but by whoever buys them further down the line). That may not bother Kiwiplymouth and if so then theres no issue, but if it was me I wouldnt be too pleased. Sorry, Im a bit of a stickler when it comes to pure strains.

Is there any point in them breeding like rats if they are different species ? If I paid a fair chunk for a pair of one species I would be pretty hacked off if they did turn out to be different. Apart from not being what they were described as, if they do breed, then we will be seeing lots of cross breeds that doubtless would be described as the wrong thing (not by Kiwiplymouth I'm sure, but by whoever buys them further down the line). That may not bother Kiwiplymouth and if so then theres no issue, but if it was me I wouldnt be too pleased. Sorry, Im a bit of a stickler when it comes to pure strains.

I do agree with you regarding it be ideal to have pure strains.

But if it is possible for 2 fish to breed in the wild and come from the same area of river or lake then cross breeding almost certainly does happen in the wild so why shouldn't it happen in the aquarium