feeding tropical fish frozen iceblocks

fishbreeder

i am planning to go away for a few days later in the year. im getting someone to feed my fish but am thinking about making an icecube for each of them with bloodworms and shrimp in it so that as it melts bits will come off for the fish to eat. i saw this done at orana park for the otters and at auckland zoo. wondered if the fish would like it.

anyone done this??

I have done it with daphnia and decap brine shrimp nuplii. You need to remember that the food is dead and it is very easy to overfeed and pollute the the tank with decaying food. Fish will be OK with no food for a few days and are generally better off that way than swimming in a bacterial soup.

i hadnt thought about doing ti with decap shrimp. would they be okay if they only got feed once a day? at the moment my babies are getting fed twice a day with shrimp coz the shrimp live for ages and they eat them till they are gone adn once with decap. i feed them about 2 hours before lights out. my adults get shrimp twice a day and a sprinkle of decap.

would they be okay if i freeze some shrimp and get the person to feed them a bit of that in the morning and with some decap. i wouldnt want them going hungry. i could be away up to 5 days.

I often will leave my established tanks for up to 10 days without a feed if I'm going away.

I wouldnt worry too much about daily feeding. If you do get someone else to feed your fish make up little baggies with exact portions, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

If I had a tank of babies I would Probably do a small ice cube once a day, Although I would probably feed them less than usual since I would be unable to keep an eye on them myself.

How ever with my big community tank I would probably just give them a feed before I leave and probably get someone to feed them one of the babies ice cubes and a slice of cucumber (for plecos but ALL my fish eat it) on maybe the 2nd or 3rd day your away.

:) Cause I know fish are fine without being feed for a while but I'd get worried personally :P

put java moss in with them and simply walk away

I go away for 3 weeks at Christmas and do a light feed about half way through the hollidays... 2 years ago I lost a tank to velvert... not lack of food... last year all were good and not a single death from 47 tanks

so would they be okay for 3-5days without feeding?

please read the replies

"put java moss in with them and simply walk away

I go away for 3 weeks at Christmas and do a light feed about half way through the hollidays... 2 years ago I lost a tank to velvert... not lack of food... last year all were good and not a single death from 47 tanks"