If you don't know...still show !!!

graeme

Reading back on some of the comments before the show,some people were not keen to show their fish because they had either just started up with their fish hobby or they were not sure of their technical names.We spent hours going thru the nett and books looking for names etc, but we did find them all....how to work out the sizing on the angels etc we had no idea,and did it wrong,but who cares,they filled tanks,and let others see what different ones are out there....and then as a JOKE we put in a fish we call ATTITUDE...because that is what it has,real character and attitude 8) .When we got him back home and into his tanks,the first thing our 3 year old grandson did was go up to the tank and put his lips there and Attitude came and gave him his kiss :D

We were not sure if we could be bothered with all the preperations..eg catching and bagging the fish...that go with the show,as this was also our first,but by the end of the weekend we had met many new people with the same interest (fish) and learnt a lot that we could never have picked up from books.

We fell into bed at 11-30 last night,but kept talking about the fish and show for another hour before sleep finally overcame us (needless to say,mum had her "nananap" this afternoon to try to catch up before work)

All in all we had a great weekend and would like to thank eveyone who came through the doors,for whatever reason,and we can't wait till next years.

For me it's not that I don't know the names or the preparation, it's more I don't want to risk my little guys on stressful conditions on the way to, during and on the way back from the show. But, next year I'll probably take one or two of them.

Stressful??

Mine didn't have their own water, as I use to do.

Netted,

Mine were scooped out by hand and transfered to their weekend motel.

Packing up

Once again the net was only used when their apartment was tobig to trap by hand.

Didn't loose one fish

Thanks Hawke Bay

Alan

My fish all made it safely up there but I auctioned them off so didn't have to bring them home again.

GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Good to meet bikiegirl, christine, Al, midas, severus, scarlet, kim and wok (to name a few I can remember off the top of my head and still half asleep). I had already met Ira, Alan, TC and goldie.

Our club gained another 3 members from the weekend too so it was well worth the effort.

We stopped at Wet Pets on the way home and talked to Peter. He said he now wished he had entered some fish and would do so next time. Several people said that actually.

Great effort Hawkes Bay club. The Seahorse Farm was so impressed they want us to do it again next year!!

I have just said goodbye to our club's Canterbury contingent as they head home with their purchases.

I will post some pics as soon as I have them resized, cropped etc.

The only fish to die over the weekend was my dwarf chain loach - and this wasn't from stress - it did a Houdini over night and was found on the floor the next morning - like Alan my fish didn't have their own water (ie water from their home tank), some had been in bags 9 hours before they were released into their show tank - no problems.

We did nothing to the water. It is spring fed and has no chlorine. The pH is about 8.0 when it comes out of the tap and it drops to about 7.5 after a couple of days. Most of the tanks were filled up 3 days before the show.

As Rob said there was only one fatality and it's because the fish jumped out. Another fish jumped out 4 times as well but it was picked up and put back into it's tank before there was a problem...

It was an excellent weekend for all. The worries I had leading up to the show disappeared by 10am on Saturday morning as the carpark overflowed. We had about 2200 visitors to the show and the Seahorse Farm had about 1100 (5 x their previous record).

We are considering holding another show next year but need to discuss it a bit first... 8) 8)