L168 Butterfly pleco sexing

phoenix44

top two pics look male ish bottom photo poss female but need better photos mate as both can have hairs but males have more. female rear fins should be short and rounded/ males are more oval and longer for fanning body shape is hard at this size but i would suspect females are slightly rounder on well fed individuals Males hairs on pecoral fin can be curved and long and males are generally bigger in size i have L052 not

L168 sorry cant help do have one L168 but has eye problem and wont part with it unless i can cure it

agree great looking plec and yrs look great i would recommend 78-80 C ph of around 6.8 or 6.6 and a good strong current feed well with protien and have plenty of widish but flat caves have heard they prefer bamboo but cannot confirm this

HTH

mr pleco

thanks. i was hoping you would see this.

the pics above are all the same fish. he loves his drift wood and gets to eat (well that's what i put in the tank) that tetra sinking tablet, hikari sinking tablet, and hikari massivore. lots of current in the tank, lots of powerful filtration. ive had him for a few months now but have never seen him eat specifically. he just grazes on the wood from what I have seen.

I really want more of them. they are such a cool looking fish. :bounce:

yeah ditto what he said looked around but all i see are young males third photo was a stab thought it might have been a different fish but its so far away cant see any visable signs of it being male so like i said at that range a possible female keep up the great hunt for a female one will turn up eventually :lol:

Ill try putting more pics up, but getting him in the frame without a million fish crowding around the camera is sooo hard :(

One snippet of advice that successful phish photographers give is to remove the subject to a separate holding tank - only needs to be a small one, maybe with a little bit of decoration (depending on how reclusive the fish is). May be worthwhile if its for something as important as breeding this lovely fish (for us all, hehehe, so dont forget to add me to that list) :wink:

OOh he a real nice fish :D if you manage to breed them put me on your list :D

Is that my girl i see in the bottom picture :)

yep! that's your convict. peaceful and shy now. fins have all grown back and she is massive and fat on hikari. eats very well ha ha.

Aqua - Ill give you a hundred bucks if you manage to catch any fish in the tank without changing the way the tank has been set up. Infact ill give you 200 if you can get mel's convict :lol: -ive spent hours with 6 nets in the tank to no avail (and im the fastest fish catcher you will ever see 8) just ask my customers at work :D :lol: :bounce: )

there are soooo many plants, in such a thick, dense network, and so many pieces of driftwood that its virtually impossible to catch any thing unless it jumps out of the tank (except the angels which are easy to catch cause they're dumb) :lol:

you're more than welcome to come look at the tank and the jungle that is growing ha ha...

these guys are notorious for changing colour to suit their enviroment and can change from a dull patchy yellow to a bright yellow and dark black stripes in seconds certainly makes them an interesting and attractive plec if for only that reason alone

i agree. its very cool. they can change colour to such an extent that they look like a completely different fish altogether. ill try getting more pics today if he comes out to play.

Awesome pics phoenix - and a stunning example. I really hope you find a mate for this one - it would be awesome to see more of these. Probably in my top 5 favorites :-)

i agree aquatopia great plecs hope someone out there grabbed a pair while they were around at that size its hard to decide if its male or not ill see if i can get pics of my adult male L052 to show you the difference you need to look for as it grows