aggressive cichlids

Benny

I haven't found any of my cichlids to be what I'd call agressive. Though, none of them have a reputation for it. Well, one of them is kind of agressive, but I think that's more sibling rivalry because he chases the other Geo. Jurupari around and noone else. They all, of course, do the normal, "Go away, my blood worms!" type aggressiveness.:)

I have a pair of Petenia splendida and a pair each of the synspilum and black belts housed in a 5x3x2 tank and a pair of festae in a 4x2x2. But my stroppiest fish would be a toss up between my Chinyankwazi fire blue and my fuscotaeniatus boys.

So much for aggro Americans...... LOLOL ............touch wood

• 2 weeks later...

Have red devils, JD, oscars, severums and lots of red devil/convict hybrids which are very aggressive. The oscars are pretty mellow, but don't appreciate company very much, so they are on their own!! :roll:

cram

Oh Midas - that is one buff looking Midas in your avatar!! - It looks like it used steroids or something - Is it yours??

cram

• 1 month later...

Anita- I had a fusco that beat the heck out of a green terror that was twiice his size. I saw a fusco that was about 12" and that was one pretty fish. The most aggressive Central American I ever had was one of the smallest, the Neetroplus nematopus, or neet for short. That fish beat up some 12" synspilum and maculicaudas I had. He was like a little fighter jet. He'd do runs on the undersides of the big fish and drive them to the point where they were swimming away in terror. The neet was about 3". They get even more aggressive when they're mating! :o

hey Cram, nope thats not my fish, just picked that pic up off the net. My one is posted in this cichlid section somewhere.

I am finding that he is getting quite a bit more aggro these days. He's about 2.5 yrs old now and will actually bite your hand if you are not careful when you put it in the tank. His teeth are sharp too, enough to draw blood if he gets a hold of you.