I'm thinking about getting a fancy pleco

Vinnie

I've been thinking about getting a fancy pleco for my 200 liter tank. I've only ever kept your standard pleco's and bristlenoses and was wondering whats out there and what are some that would be best to look at first, like if there are any that are easier to care for than others

Any idea's and pics would be really helpful, or links to websites that could help

I've been thinking about getting a fancy pleco for my 200 liter tank. I've only ever kept your standard pleco's and bristlenoses and was wondering whats out there and what are some that would be best to look at first, like if there are any that are easier to care for than others

Any idea's and pics would be really helpful, or links to websites that could help

Leopard sailfin plec?

http://images.google.co.nz/images?hl=en ... a=N&tab=wi

by fancy... what do you mean?

what price range?

goldspots are usually $20, and gold nuggets (also with spots) or goldies can be upwards of $150.

Sorry Phoenix, I wrote it wrong, I meant the gold nugget I think @ $150.

ah. sweet.

lots of stores sell gold nuggets, cause the fish are purchased as gold nuggets - and they turn out to be something else.

I'd say take a pic of the fish and post it here before you get it, cause some of the "gold nuggets" as they are called get quite large, while others stay small.

it would be easier to use L numbers but then it would make no sense to someone who wanted to know what that gold spotted sucky fish was, lol. :lol:

ah. sweet.

lots of stores sell gold nuggets, cause the fish are purchased as gold nuggets - and they turn out to be something else.

I'd say take a pic of the fish and post it here before you get it, cause some of the "gold nuggets" as they are called get quite large, while others stay small.

it would be easier to use L numbers but then it would make no sense to someone who wanted to know what that gold spotted sucky fish was, lol. :lol:

Pet shops should at least make an effort to have both the common name and L number. I'm sure it would make it easier for everyone so everyone knows where they stand with it.

Pet shops should at least make an effort to have both the common name and L number. I'm sure it would make it easier for everyone so everyone knows where they stand with it.

Don't worry, it'll happen soon, right after pet shops start selling 100MPG carburetors....

ok.. so i work in a pet shop right.. (occasionally when the mood calls for it).

lol

so say i order a gold nugget cause I want one, I do so by looking at a piece of paper that i get from suppliers, and i choose the fish i want. then i fax that away and a few days later presto! mr. fish arrives.

not everyone can tell the difference between the types of gold nuggets... its quite hard AFAIK. and there is no guarantee that the fish that comes in is 100% a gold nugget. could be something else - a different L number, and its not necessarily the shops fault or the "fish guys" fault or even the wholesalersfault. at the end of the day it is what it was sold as in the beginning.

some suppliers use L numbers, but these can too be wrong.

catch 22 :lol: :(

lol If the shops start doing id's and pass on customers concerns to the wholesalers maybe they will start dealing with descent suppliers and not the cheapest bidder.. But then they may still get sent the same rubbish because we are small fish in the grand scheme of things, or if we are sent descent fish the price will be higher than other suppliers and noone will buy them.. lol really stuck in a rut there..

I do feel shops have a responsibility to roughly know what stuff is and do ids to at least know if what they are selling is unsuitable for someones tank, and to sell healthy fish with no deformities :) At the end of the day they can only deal in what they are supplied, I think sometimes we are a little hard on them..

• 3 weeks later...