What type of skink is that?

DonnaM

I'm guessing lots of you have seen the sale of geckos/skinks from CHCH on another site? There is a slightly blurry photo added now. Does it look like a native? I dont know enough abought them to know....a bit of a concern if it is a native tho :o:o

Even in it was an australian rainbow skink it would still be illegal to keep with license or sell, yes?

Not 100% sure, I always have a feeling that australian rainbow skink declear as pest in NZ, if it is the case, that will be illegal to keep, breed, display, swap, sell. etc.

I could be wrong, my understanding of pest in NZ, will be illegal to keep, breed, display, swap, sell. like possum, ferret ....

http://www.reptiles.org.nz/uploads/PDF/ ... nimals.pdf

Its not listed as an import and you need a A licence to keep one = legal to keep

Dont know where you got your info from.

It is illegal to sell native skinks and gecko's

Skink looks like a Copper skink anyway

the selling of skinks in local pet shops in nz was what brought about the ban on selling them

skinks were being taken frm the chch area and sold in auckland

it was found that some of them hadn't been classified yet

when people purchased them and then got sick of looking after them they just released them in their garden or locally thus threatening the genetic makeup of some native species

our native skinks and geckos are found in some very small areas and are only identified by the number of scales thay have around their mouth

the selling of skinks in local pet shops in nz was what brought about the ban on selling them

skinks were being taken frm the chch area and sold in auckland

it was found that some of them hadn't been classified yet

when people purchased them and then got sick of looking after them they just released them in their garden or locally thus threatening the genetic makeup of some native species

our native skinks and geckos are found in some very small areas and are only identified by the number of scales thay have around their mouth

The other reason I was told is that because they were being caught from the wild, local populations were becoming dessimated.

Thanks for reporting the listing for: SKINKS AND GECKOS.

The Trade Me Customer Support Team have reviewed the listing and has deemed that it is in breach of our terms and conditions. As a result the listing has been removed from the site.

Thank you for bringing this listing to our attention and making Trade Me a better place to buy and sell.

Happy trading,

The Trade Me Customer Support Team

and i also got a warning :roll:

Why did you get a warning?

Yes some areas were getting cleaned out of animals just to suplly the "pet trade"

which when you worked out the numbers being sold and kept ...just didnt add up so I can easly see how that would happen.

not the easiest animal to start with...a wild caught skink/gecko.

lol at scale number...and mouth colour...and dorsal pattern...and local...and...and...and...and..way the wind is blowing when people review maps/make ups...lol

Sorry been a bad day

Nav