can i breed bettas in a planted tank

fishbreeder

shouldnt be a trouble breeding in a planted tank, just with leaving them in there to grow up all depends on how many you get in the spawn. could leave the male in there the entire time so he can cull the weak ones for you

I don't see any problems with breeding in the tank you described. As I've recently discovered, bettas can breed in a tank with sand, makes no difference to the father's gathering of the eggs. Plants will make a good spawning site for the couple because the female will want to hide for a while before spawning. But the only trouble might be removing the female afterwards, if she hides behind the plants.

All the best! :wink:

thanks, ive got two in a small tank at the moment, hoping they breed in next couple of days, but will get the other tank up and running with plants sand etc. at the moment all she has to hide behind is some java moss. hes not being too mean, just dancing for her. shes nice and round and barred up, so fingers crossed. ill use the large tank for the next spawn.

thanks, ive got two in a small tank at the moment, hoping they breed in next couple of days, but will get the other tank up and running with plants sand etc. at the moment all she has to hide behind is some java moss. hes not being too mean, just dancing for her. shes nice and round and barred up, so fingers crossed. ill use the large tank for the next spawn.

All I can say is.. Don't freak out about the female - she will withstand more punishment than you'd think. With my previous attempts, I'd kept in mind the "4 day rule" and never ventured past 4 days, and every time the female took some beating I'd freak out and abandon the attempt. So I never got anywhere. With my recent attempt, I just had to force myself to leave the female in, and after 6 days of treacherous beatings and bites, I saw eggs. The female has recovered really well, and is barring at the male again now. So, just stick to your guns!

TWO DAYS into it and no eggs, she barred up and nice and round. hes alot larger than her, but i didnt think my smaller male could manage to squeeze her coz of her roundness.

ill keep waiting. he let her eat too which was good

That's cool.. When my couple was together I fed the male in one corner of the tank and dropped the food right over wherever the female was hiding out.. That was the only way she could wolf down a couple of quick bites before he started chasing again..

IVE GOT eggs, just looked this morning and shes floating while hes collecting, he had squeezed her at least 5 times. and last time i saw 10 eggs, so we must have heaps and she still has a HUGE belly.

LoL, grab a beer and cheer him on from the sidelines! :bounce:

hes doing well i think, constantly getting them off the bottom, chasing the ones who think they can free swim all the way to the other side of the spawning tank. im in awe of him, hes amazing, id be tired by now and going oh well ur gonna sink, thats ur problem.

i have 5 females in total and 5 males. so thinking about breeding lots when my other 4 boys grow up. hubby thinks its a good fish to breed and doesnt mind having LOTS of tanks and filling up the caravan with breeding tanks and growing out tanks.

yippie, the tails are so cute hanging down.

the dad is a blue VT with a tinge of red on the front fins. the mum is a red (she hasnt showed full colour yet) i think, her fins are red.

i have a red with blue male and a blue with red male, a white and red male and a red male that we are gonna breed from. girls are red, some with blue, one white and red. and one red CT.

babies are cute.

thanks

they are not hanging down any more, they are horizontal lying just beneath the surface. does that mean i can take dad out. he is pretty isnt he. counted and i got about 50. so thats good i guess, so far.

thanks for uploading them for me, i love the close up with the fry and bubbles. awesome

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that. ill get a grow out tank sorted for them this week. i tried to siphon of gunk off the bottom and ended up with some fish too, they were okay.

out of the lot you gave me i ended up with 4 females (including that CT female) the rest are boys, three of which we are keeping coz they are awesome colours.

thanks

thanks for that. ill get a grow out tank sorted for them this week. i tried to siphon of gunk off the bottom and ended up with some fish too, they were okay.

out of the lot you gave me i ended up with 4 females (including that CT female) the rest are boys, three of which we are keeping coz they are awesome colours.

thanks

Any update pix yet :P ??

ill have to take some tomorrow after they have been feed then you can see them with orange bellies. excuse the mess on the bottom of tank, as i tried to clean it and got babies as well. but they are moving home soon and be easier to clean. i will take some and get them up this week hopefully they are so cute. hope my other lot have eggs in morning. boys are new to this game and not too sure.