min tank size for a 50cm Pacu

cichlid7

there is currently research being done about breeding & growth rates of them to see whether they could be a viable food source for us.

Apparently we shouldn't eat our aquarium fish because a lot of the products we use in domestic fish-keeping aren't approved for use with food-fish.

Just saying. :-?

Apparently we shouldn't eat our aquarium fish because a lot of the products we use in domestic fish-keeping aren't approved for use with food-fish.

More to the point, we pay too much for most of them to ever be eaten. Unless you're eating something like guppies, you'll never be able to afford to eat them!!

it would be a pretty big aquarium to feed even this small country :D

a guy i know up here had a 50cm pacu that went to a research facilty somewhere between whangarei & auckland where they have dams of fish growing to see how long it takes to grow how big etc. I don't know what the outcome was or any more than that. next time i see him i'll find out more.

• 3 weeks later...
I was reading somewhere that a man had his nose bitten off by one :o

What was he doing with his nose in the fish tank?! :o

Pacu are vegetarians as far as I know and don't have the really sharp teeth needed to tear flesh. I wouldn't be surprised if they could break a nose (or a finger) though because they have immense crushing strength in their jaws.

Since I read that about them biting off someone's nose I have been imagining some guy looking in the top of the tank at his fish and getting closer and closer until eventually the tip of his nose is in the water.... Pacu says "mmm! a grape!" and the rest is history...

Chocolate fish to the first person who can find a video of this on YouTube. Two chocolate fish if you make one and post it up. :D

Another such incident occurred when a 24-inch Pacu (named Pacu) jumped out of his tank in Fort Worth, TX and bit the nose off of his owner. The nose was later reattached, sans left nostril.

LOL! Unfortunaltely without any references or links to independent sources, I think you might find this is a hoax :wink: