Beetles in fish food?!

Olly

Today I brought a can of fish food

I opened it to feed some to the fish and it is crawling with beetles

It is a Wardleys cichlid crumbles from USA

I have put some in the freezer and will try to key them out and identify them once they have died.

What should I do about it? Do I need to tell anyone?

I hope they will be unusual enough to get me some bonus marks in my insect collection for my entomology paper :)

Was the container sealed, or did it just have a plastic lid? If it was sealed, they were in there before it got to NZ, and you'll need to report it to MAF. Otherwise, they could have gotten in since the food arrived here.

I hope you have put ALL the beetles in the freezer or have them contained in the food container.

Definitely report it to MAF, there may be other containers contaminated and they will want to check them. I suspect a shortage of Wardleys fish food in the near future....

Wayne

Ewwwwwwwwwww gross, I'd have to say that if I opened ANY kind of container and saw that...the contents would be all over the floor since after the initial ewwwww it would drop!!!!

I don't know who you'd report it to but it seems most of your fellow New Zealanders know who and sounds like a darn good idea!

Caper

It is likely to be a stored product pest and was in there as eggs which were not spotted. The beetle may be a common one found here as well or could be a species not found here at all. In any case Maf should be looking in to it. If you give it back to the supplier it may not be investigated properly but if you give it to Maf and you request that they inform you of the outcome the right paths may be followed and it is likely that the product will be withdrawn and properly disposed of.

From Brookland's:

Re the food in question - Wardley Cichlid Crumbles 71g item #635. The importer have been in contact with MAF and the beetle identified as a non- biosecurity threat. This beetle is found already within NZ and is often found in food products. The suspect batch #BL20681 has been withdrawn from sale and should anyone have a can from this batch please return it to your retailer and request a New replacement can from the importer Brooklands Aquarium Ltd.

Apparently the issue is only with this one type of food and only one batch. Please do as requested in Brookland's response.