Is RO water strictly necessary?

lmsmith

No skimmer yet; I'm waiting for it to arrive. I should have it set up by the end of the week, and the fish will be in a bigger tank too. From the little bit of research I've down on RO units, they seem mega expensive. How much would an average one be?

Also, I kind of remember hearing somewhere that an RO unit gets the same things out of the water as a UV thing in the filter; is this true?

A UV unit produces UV light which acts as a sanitizer and will kill off bacteria and algae in the water column but will not remove the dead matter. An RO unit is a fine membrane that allows water and other similar and smaller sized molecules to pass through but will remove compounds having bigger molecules so it is a type of filter and produces water that is purer than that being treated but not as pure as distilled water. They are not even similar, so do not produce the same sort of water.

Ro/Di filters usually go for round $350-$500. Ideally you want at least a 4 stage unit, this will have a couple of pre filters (Carbon and sediment), then your RO filter which gets the water ~99% pure, and lastly a DI filter which does the last ~1%.

Watch out for the retail filter shops, they seem to think they can charge crazy prices, I was quoted between $700 and over $1000, there is a shop in Auckland, Prestons I think (?) or is it PSI filters (?) that supplies a lot of the marine keepers at reasonable prices.

They come up second hand sometimea but be aware you are really just buying the housing's because you'll most likely need/want to replace all the filters since you wont know how they have been treated or how much work they have done.

Until you get your filter, the next best option is pure water from the supermarket (just make sure it's not mineral water), next best after that is rain water, so long as you collect it cleanly.

I collect rainwater now and use it. Any ideas for cleanly collecting rainwater? I just have a big 50l tub that sits outside away from trees etc

• 1 month later...