White cloud mountain minnows

fins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

After the death of my kids goldfish I am wanting to get some of these. The only place that I have found to have some only have 3 in store. How can I tell Male from Female? and would 3 be ok in a 5.7ltr tank? I can remove the gravel and add java moss. Not intending on breeding them but if it happened it would be a bonus :D

cheers

I have known Waterplantz on Trademe ( John Peters ) for many years and have bought many things off him including white clouds. He is very honest and reliable. They are called white clouds because they come from the rivers around the White Cloud mountains in China and therefore can live quite happily in very cold water. It is easier to transfer them from hot to cold than the other way around and they prefer cold to hot. I would't keep them over 25 deg C. Their colours are far more intense in cold water. They do not breed outside in Christchurch until about December.

Well I got 4 WCMM's today. I hope I picked two males and two females but now that they are home the extra female looks like a male but I can't really tell.

I have removed 3/4 of the gravel out off the bottom of the tank and only left a little bit to hold the few sticks of plants and java moss in place.

Its up on our kitchen bench so don't mind the Milo Jar behind them hehe. They love swimming in the current that flows in this tank and they all stick together.

Here is a pic. Enjoy :D

055.jpg

Nice pix, PJ! If that tank gets any direct sunlight, the java moss will take off like a rocket (growing, not launching :) ). Great little fishies, I'm sure you'll enjoy them heaps. One question though.... what kind of filter is that? WCMM fry are TINY and will easily get sucked into anything stronger than your standard Diacks sponge filter...

when I see fry in there I am hoping to scoop out as many as possible and put them into the fry tank. Would guppy fry eat them? There is plenty of plant. I am not intending to breed as such yet and once I get one of my bigger tanks they will be moving into a 15ltr tank and this hex tank will become a hospital tank :D

I am able to restrict the flow of the filter to reduce the current produced so I will try that first and see how we go. :D

Cheers

When I get one of the bigger 2ft tanks for my guppies. I will then put the minnows into the 15ltr tank. I will then sell the tank that they are currently in and get them a 22ltr tank which is the same as the one that my guppy fry are in :D

I got one there which I think is a female (huge rounded belly) but the back end of her looks swollen kinda so I don't know if she is ready to have eggs or if something is wrong. I guess time will tell :D

Sooo excited :D

Is there anyone that can post a pic of what their eggs look like? Are they easy to see. I have read sites that say they can lay up to 300 eggs :o If this is true are they in a clump and can they be seen? As I said in an earlier post I have got what seems to be a female and her back end looks very large. I really do hope that she is ready to lay and not sick of some sort. I have also noticed the two males are having a go at each other. Is this normal?

cheers

When breeding egg layers I used to feed them up until the females were almost bursting with eggs in the belief that it was no harder to bring up 1000 fry than 100. I have tried this with white clouds and they still spawn almost continuously over a period of days rather than drop the lot. They are very small and I used to feed infusoria for a while then microworm then brine shrimp. MaF get their nickers in a twist over them periodically but I do believe they were legally imported many years ago.

Have you seen the latest wcmm in the shops?

Even Whakatane has them, $6.00 each tho.

The only way they could have hit the shops with so many at once,

is either thru an import, or someone has managed to get some in,

bred them up really well, then hit the market, all at once, to get premium dollars.

I know of someone on this forum who has bought some from an Auck. shop, in an attempt to breed them up too.

Alan 104