Caulerpa planted tank.

yarimochi

Hi all

I would love to convert my Lido into a marine tank. I simply want to keep the same system as I have now, but changing the sand, rocks and lighting. I would love to plant the tank with caulerpa rather than have live corals. I was also thinking a few easy fish maybe one canary wrasse and one other small fish.

My question is, are the two t5s with reflectors and marine blue and white bulbs enough to support the caulerpa?

Will the caulerpa be enough in partnership with the filter be enough to support two fish and maybe an anenome?

What kind of caulerpa is best in a tank where you want it as a planted tank? which species dont go to seed with the lights off and crash?

thanks heaps

The answer to all your questions is yes, other then being able to keep an anemone which are at least as hard to keep as corals, requiring high water quality, lots of light etc etc.

Regarding the type of Caulerpa, your better to have a mix of types you like and not have too large an amount of one type

Following caulerpa is available

Caulerpa sertularioides

Caulerpa Mexicana

Caulerpa racemosa

Caulerpa verticillata

Caulerpa webbiana Montagne . Native nz caulerpa. Found this to be the best caulerpa as it does not crash.

New zealand water contain many species that can be used in a tropical tank.

No Caulerpa can be imported, none are illegal except for Taxifolia .

Following caulerpa is available

Caulerpa sertularioides

Caulerpa Mexicana

Caulerpa racemosa

Caulerpa verticillata

Caulerpa webbiana Montagne . Native nz caulerpa. Found this to be the best caulerpa as it does not crash.

New zealand water contain many species that can be used in a tropical tank.

No Caulerpa can be imported, none are illegal except for Taxifolia .

I have at least two that aren't on your list :lol:

Is Taxifolia actually illegal in NZ? It's generally illegal in most places but so are lots of others, all of the ones you list above are illegal in California

i've decided to go the same way with my lido.

Except make it a nano reef... my only worry is that the 2x T5's with reflectors with marine actinic and white bulbs won't be enough for the corals.

I'm also thinking about scrapping the juwel filter box inside of it (Anyone know of a good way to remove them without damaging glass?) and just use a skimmer.

have at least two that aren't on your list

Is Taxifolia actually illegal in NZ? It's generally illegal in most places but so are lots of others,

I am sure there is others that i did not mention. the ones i listed just came to mind.

Taxifolia is illegal as it is classed as a pests.

http://www.biodiversity.govt.nz/pdfs/se ... n_plan.pdf

i really want taxifolia.... 8) it grows so fast and is exactly the look i want but ill get into BIG trouble. i dont like the grape one becuase it seems to go all mushy at work. Im thinking id be keen on Mexicana, it looks like it grows similar to taxifolia. does anyone her know where i can get mexicana?

thanks heaps

i've decided to go the same way with my lido.

Except make it a nano reef... my only worry is that the 2x T5's with reflectors with marine actinic and white bulbs won't be enough for the corals.

I'm also thinking about scrapping the juwel filter box inside of it (Anyone know of a good way to remove them without damaging glass?) and just use a skimmer.

mite be able to get a skimmer to fit in the box off ebay or something and for ligthing you could possibly fit a 70w metal halde(fan cooled) in there