Swords with brown tips & other nutrient questions

whetu

My amazon swords have recently developed brown/yellow tips. I understand this is because of a lack of iron and other trace elements and is a direct result of me getting really slack about dosing liquid ferts for a while! I have now remedied that. I am left with three questions:

1) Will the affected leaves recover and go back to being green, or will I need to trim them off? On a 20cm leaf it's only the 1cm on the tip that is affected.

2) I have purchased a bottle of Nutrafin Plant Gro iron enriched fertiliser. The dosing instructions say "5 ml per 37.8 litres provides the ideal amount (0.3mg/L) of iron. We recommend using the nutrafin iron test kit to regularly monitor chelated iron levels." So it tells me the amount to put in but not how often I should do it. Is there another way of working out the dosage without having to purchase a test kit?

3) Plant Gro has an NPK of 0.15 - 0 - 0. Do I now need to find another way of dosing phosphorus and potassium? ie I have to go back and buy another product? :roll: If so, can anyone recommend a suitable product?

Background info on tank:

• Approx. 200 litres
  • Was heavily planted but I removed all the really fast-growing stem plants. I'm now regretting that and will reintroduce them very soon.
  • Substrate is plain gravel with no added nutrient.
  • The fish load is medium to light
  • 20% water change once a week
  • Anything else you need to know, just ask!

Go buy some JBL 7 Balls

Push them into the substrate near the roots.

Swords re heavy root feeders and will bnefit from this.

Thanks! Are JBL 7 Balls laterite? I used to use Duplarit K laterite balls but I can't seem to find them in the shops any more.

Thanks supasi & alanmin :bounce:

I googled them and they seem to be a compressed ball of slow-release micronutrients. They still don't have any phosphates or nitrates though (they say it's so they don't promote algae growth). With a low fish load will I have to add both of those? Or are there signs I should look out for to see if the plants are lacking in them? :-?

Buy 7+13 they are cheaper. Don't know what they are made from but provide micronutrients

Yup, those the ones I meant, until just now I didnt know there were two types.Ive only ever bought on packet as the seem to last forever. I recommend them for swords and crypts. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...