Twisted Val

fish_fingers

I have 'twisting' val - not a lot but you can have a few plants if you want. Not sure what type of twisted val it is. It doesn't particularly like the high flow in my tank and the fact that I dose flourish excel but it does tolerate it and grows slowly because of this.

You can pick it up when you pick up the rocks :wink:

I have 'twisting' val - not a lot but you can have a few plants if you want. Not sure what type of twisted val it is. It doesn't particularly like the high flow in my tank and the fact that I dose flourish excel but it does tolerate it and grows slowly because of this.

You can pick it up when you pick up the rocks :wink:

DOH the rocks!!! Sorry had forgotten again...will flick you a text and come have a nosey sometime this weekend, errr when it suits you of course :wink: Thanks very much :bounce:

• 3 weeks later...

from my understanding..(if someone else knows more please feel free to correct me) some of the Val species are prohibited to be sold in some areas.

Some of the local councils have a ban and a huge fine if anyone is caught selling it as it is considered a pest species.

Some LFS have put a complete ban on selling Val as sometimes there is confusion over which type is being supplied and sold. E.g. Giant Val can look like normal val when it is very new and small.

I think it depends on what the local council stance is on Val as to whether you'll see it around in the LFS or not.

Hope that helps!

There are two levels of prohibition. Vallisneria gigantia is nationally prohibited as an unwanted organism but in some areas the regional councils (who are responsible for noxious weeds control) have also prohibited Vallisneria americana because of the similarity when small as you state. I understand that all of the twisted Vallisneria sp. are allowed. In fact V. gigantia is that ginormous it would be hard to miss.

It depends what type of eelgrass it is, where they are, where it came from and wether that Regional Council has banned it. It is a bit like the people on that site that sell oxygen weed without a picture and when you ask what sort they say it is the same stuff you get from the pet shop---but it may not be.