under floor/under tile heating as under aquarium heating

humvee

Just in the process of arranging a new tank to be built it will be 145cm L x 39cm W x 45cm H so quite long compared to its width and was wonder about heating the tank from underneath instead of 2 internal heaters.

Has any one used under floor heating like hotwire or warmup to make a custom sized under tank heater?

If so how did you do it what is your setup like what brands/products did you use?

Just in the process of arranging a new tank to be built it will be 145cm L x 39cm W x 45cm H so quite long compared to its width and was wonder about heating the tank from underneath instead of 2 internal heaters.

Has any one used under floor heating like hotwire or warmup to make a custom sized under tank heater?

If so how did you do it what is your setup like what brands/products did you use?

There's a thread somewhere on here explaining how Caryl did it... I can't seem to find it at the moment but it is there somewhere! :)

Yeah we built our own using wire, like that in electric blankets, laid out on Pinex. We went to Argus Heating (I think) told them the length and the power required and they worked out the suitable cable to do that, put the mains on, and sealed it (you need special tools to do that).

Your biggest problem will be finding a thermostat.

I saw that also but didn't know that was how it was heated. I have two tanks heated with undertank heaters made by Argosy with thermostats by love from Homershams. One is divided int 6 bare bottom breeding tanks and the other with about 40mm of sand for growing plants. The thermostat has a hysteresis of 1 deg C but the temperature range is way more than that because of the insulating effect of the sand. You would need to not add too much gravel/sand and keep it spread evenly rather than landscaped or you will get different heats and therefore expansion/contraction on the base glass and risk breakage. Mine both work well.

Argosy,that was the name, not Argus (I almost got it right!). Our wires sit on top of the Pinex, evenly coiled over the whole base. Tank sits on top with a lot of gravel init. It has been running over 10 years now. Only problem we had was recently the thermostat cooked a few fish and had to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

The cheapest would be an old bimetalic aquarium thermostat. I use an electronic love one from Homershams which was around $120 I think. It regulates the temperature with a hysteresis of one degree and displays the actual temperature. I have one tank divided into 6 compartments and controlled by one thermostat. The temperature can be regulated by having different depths of water. The tanks are 1200x450x400 and the heater is 300watts and the same size as the tank footprint.