Zeovit System

Fay

here are the posts already discussed.

there must be about 50-100 reefers in nz.

about 4 reefers use this system in NZ. It is mainly used to colour up acropora corals as it removes nitrates and phostphates.

I would not use zeovit on your tank as it is mainly a soft coral tank and you could have real problems if you dose incorrectly.

Zeovite does not remove directly nitrite , nitrate, or phostphates from the tank. It permanenly absords ammonium and ammonia the first two chemicals in the nitrification cycle, thus preventing the formation of nitrite and nitrate.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=3130

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2411

I would be concerned as well.

The product started off as too colour up acropora and now it is used for soft coral.

There is not benefit for soft coral at all as most like some sort of nutrients too grow.

actually how high is your nitrate and phostphate levels. ??????

nitrate levels of below 10ppm is fine and slight phostphate levels also not a problem as these are utilised by soft coral.

Nitrates 25<>salifert Nitrates 5 <> Hagen

Phosphate between 0-0.25 just there<>Hagen

My nitrates have always been the same testing with salifert, Yet before starting Zeovit Hagen tested 5 and now showing small drop something is wrong with one of these test kits.

When I started using salifert test kits my nitrate and phosphate were reading 0 with hagen kits with the salifert nitrate was 5 and phosphate 1.0,it may be worth getting a salifert phosphate kit you might find your levels are higher than the hagen is showing.

Fay if you are doing that much water changes then you have to find out what is causing the high nitrates,

How much do you feed?? eg daily . 3 times daily

what do you feed???

do you wash your frozen food before you feed the fish??

do you filter your top up water?? ro or di

what supplements are you using??

first things first, test your replacement water before actually changing it!!! highly unlikely its the test kits, there maybe a little difference between kits but not enough to detect 0 vs 25 for eg. as reef says, provide more details about your tank, eg: stocking levels, skimmer make/model (vs the 600 litres you have), kg of LR (for biological filtration), feeding? etc etc. remember reducing nitrates wont happen overnight,... but it will happen :D (go the shampoo ad)

29 fish<>2 shrimp<>2 big starfish<>lots of little starfish<>lots of snails

feed twice daily morning salifert plus<>spirulina<>spirulina disc for big boy<>night 2 cubes of brine shrimp<>2 mysis<>1 cube marine tucker<>little bit of whitebait for anemones which there are 6 of<>Sorry didnt weigh my rock

filter top up water down to 0.5 mic.

will test water change this week use westcoast sea water but we are only 2 km up from the mighty Waikato River mouth.

run 2 skimmers Queen TS-3000 surposed to be good for 2000ltrs<>Tunze not sure of model got off Alois good for 2000ltrs.

Supplements<>up until now<>all salifert<>trace soft 30ml<>trace hard 20ml<>natural Iodine 30ml<>coral food 15ml<>natural strontium 30ml<>weekly<>

Liquid magnesium when required

seachem kalkwasser in top water.

was running salifert phosphate killer in bag in sump

no activated carbon<>but will start this when I can get up to Auckland

YOU NEED TO GET RO OR DI FILTER UNIT, .5MIC WILL NOT REMOVE PHOSTPHATES AND NITRATES. SO THIS MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM??,

ALSO NO NEED TO FEED ANEMOES AS THEY WILL GET TOO BIG. THE CLOWNS WILL FEED THEM ANYWAY, ANEMOES WILL USE THE LIGHT TO GROW AND THE ORGANICS IN THE WATER.

YOU DO NEED TO SLOW DOWN ON THE FEEDING AS IT SEEMS QUIT A LOT, MAYBEE ONLY FEED THEM EVERY SECOND DAY.

GET US SOME UPDATED PIC

Yeah if you fish get skinny when cut back the feeding then you have 2 options, take out some fish or keep feeding the way you are.

Alois has lots of fish in his tank and has struggled with Nitrates on and off for a while. I think his soultion was to use some sort of Nitrate Reductor. Perhapps he will shed some more light but I think if you want to run a heavy fish load, than no amount of skimming (Alois is the king of skimmers) will drastically reduce the nitrates. So less fish, less food or some technology is the only way around it.

You could also look at making a MUCH larger sump, this increasing the fish per litre rule, which should help, but you tank is quite large so you will need some serious additional water volume.

Good luck and tank is looking fab, I would love to see some updated pics.

Pie

I will try and make time for photos but I have been having problems with my fresh water tank sorted now I hope, poor Frog has been running the shop on his own again!!!!. :D

P.S. I have been having trouble taking close ups they come out blurry any tips.

Use a tripod. Make sure the glass is keen. Use a camera with Macro if you can. Turn off all the lights except the tanks. Use a remote or timer so you don't press the button and move the camera when you take it. Use manual settings for depth of field and shutter speed to ensure accurate colours.

Pietogropher