Easy cooking recipes pls

Dave+Amy

well I mastered making Italian gnoochi from just watching and listening once from my mate's dad so I'm a quick learner but I need precise measurements in metric terms please lol (not too good with pounds and ounces etc).

Wok I have to admit I've watched that show a few times and even learnt how to make scrolls from Sticky TV on TV3 lol. But I'm meaning more fancier looking dishes without the effort.

I like cooking fried noodles

that is simple and tasty, good way of getting a lot of vegies into you, as well as being semi quick to cook.

its the preparation of stuff that takes time.

Have been making crepes a lot, in the past month using the prestige ceramic fry pan.

is baking considered cooking?

Wonton Soup is a piece of cake to do.

Buy wonton pastry

200gm pork mince and marinate with

3 tbsp light soy sauce

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1 egg

mix all the ingredients together and then wrap in the wonton wraps.

simple.

for the soup, use maggie chicken stock.

we use milk with a bit of cornflour mixed in as the 'glue' to hold wontons together.

Made a tasty dinner the other night. Cheated and bought a jar of Pams japanese Teriyaki sauce (we usually make our own stir fry sauce). Cooked up some beef bits, stir fried some veges with garlic, added sauce and simmered down. Bought some rice noodles. You soak them for 15 mins in cold water, then drain them, then just add them to the sauce and break them up a bit.

ok.

so you heat your oil.

add 6 cloves of garlic, brown, and then add onion.

brown that too.

then you add spices. all of them. now which spices do you add you ask? go to your local dairy, and ask the fella what you need. the odds of him knowing what you are on about are stacked in your favour.

so then you cook the spices, and add a little water. stir vigorously and make a paste.

now here is where it gets technical.

add some tomato puree - about half a can. let it boil... and soon the oil will split out of it. then you add some water, and stir.

when the water evaporates, add the rest of the puree.

repeat the same step with the rest of the puree.

then put your chicken in.

and cook that.

then you take pataks - its the only half decent one ive tried, and add that to the pot, and you can add some unflavoured yogurt if you like, but please for heavens sake do not add cream :lol:

then you put the stove on simmer, and walk away only to return when the stuff is boiling. stirr it a couple of times, and when you are happy with its consistency -EAT AWAY :bounce:

you add yoghurt??? I've never thought about making the sauce from scratch but I guess that Chicken Tonight sauce is horrible

it is an optional extra. you dont add a lot... more for colour. you can marinade the meat in it if you like... overnight in the fridge, makes the meat softer.

real food is made with yogurt - the wussy stuff is made with cream.

plus... cream in an already high energy food is a heart attack on a plate.

you forgot the rice has to be basmati for authenticity(or jasmine if you just like the taste. my trick for cooking basmati rice as i was taught by indians: get a large microwave safe bowl (a normal bowl shape not some unusual shape) chuck the rice in , put ur hand in the bowl placing ur middle fingertip just on top of the level rice then fill with cold water up to the bottom of your little fingertip(on me this is just under 2 inches of water above the level of the rice, but people with very small or very large hands my method may not work) give it a stir add some salt and around 3/4 a tablespoon of 'jeera' (cumin seeds)

I'm a big pasta fan, my fav cold pasta salad:

500g pasta (penne or the twisty one is good)

2 capsicum or a 500g jar of the one in oil

1 500g jar of sundried tomatos

500g feta cheese

1 bag of baby spinach

Cook the pasta and let it cool, chop the sundried tomatos, capsicum, feta and spinach into little bits.

Add all the bits to the pasta, and toss it. Add a few teaspoons of the oil from the sundried tomatos and it's delicious, otherwise add a balsamic vinaigrette or something.

Done.

It's delicious, really easy, and great for lunch, or a BBQ salad. That recipe would feed 6, so halve or quarter it to suit. It also stores well, so you can make it up, then put it in a container and leave it in the fridge for a few days.

I'm a big pasta fan, my fav cold pasta salad:

500g pasta (penne or the twisty one is good)

2 capsicum or a 500g jar of the one in oil

1 500g jar of sundried tomatos

500g feta cheese

1 bag of baby spinach

Cook the pasta and let it cool, chop the sundried tomatos, capsicum, feta and spinach into little bits.

Add all the bits to the pasta, and toss it. Add a few teaspoons of the oil from the sundried tomatos and it's delicious, otherwise add a balsamic vinaigrette or something.

Done.

It's delicious, really easy, and great for lunch, or a BBQ salad. That recipe would feed 6, so halve or quarter it to suit. It also stores well, so you can make it up, then put it in a container and leave it in the fridge for a few days.

you forgot the meat :o

:lol:

Buy a jar of cajun spice, you can add that to anything for spectacular results!

On meat, fish, vegies, eggs, potatoes, even on plain bread and butter or DIY garlic bread!

Bear in mind it is quite salty.

I am a poor student and trying to eat super-cheap along with super-easy. Been doing a lot of pasta with tinned salmon mixed in (tuna is cheaper but less sustainably fished apparently). Mix in some veggies, a little shake of chilli or curry powder for some extra flavour and you are done!

Hey Stella - we went on tinned Tuna and Salmon for a few weeks before oh man it took me ages before I could even look at a tin again in the supermarket lol

I love pasta too, quick and easy and mince is always cheap, all my mates in Dunedin hate mince 'cos that's all they live off down there lol