Almond leaves to lower pH

Dave+Amy

I've given my community tank a thought and thinking about lowering the pH below 7 (tap water), since most of my fish are from lower pH environments.

Does anybody add Almond Leaves to their tanks - if so how much? I've already got two HUGE pieces of driftwood so I'm not too keen to add more but I want to lower the pH the non-chemical way and thought Almond leaves would be a likely option.

When you say Almond Leaves, are you referring to Terminalia catappa, or Indian Almond.

As opposed to Prunus dulcis, which is the edible almond and of the same family as peaches and plums?

The leaves of Terminalia catappa can grow up to about eight inches long and are quite wide, whereas the Prunus leaves are only about three inches long, same as on a peach tree.

Terminalia catappa are used in aquaria overseas to lower Ph and have alleged anti bacterial properties, I do not know if they are grown in New Zealand.

George Farmer has used them in his Chocolate Gourami tank in the UK as detailed here -

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... blogid=151

Indian armond leaves are supposed to be good but an easier way is oak leaves. Make sure they are naturally fallen and not green and just chuck them in. They will float for about 3 days. If you want you can boil them first but I never do.

Tea bags to much the same thing and I have used them also.

Could also try HCL or H2SO4, HCL is supposed to be safer but I have never tried either.