Snorkel Sets

Fmxmatt

4 of us are heading over to the Barrier Reef in March, and would like to purchase some snorkel sets before we go (we have flippers, jsut need mask and snorkel)

Can anyone recommend a set thats worth looking at? Lots of options around the place, but its hard to know whats good, and whats not. Prefer to spend $40 - $60 per set, but open to opinions.

We're only casual snorkellers, and not overly worried if they only last the use of this trip (as its probably another year before we'll get away again)

Cheers :)

4 of us are heading over to the Barrier Reef in March, and would like to purchase some snorkel sets before we go (we have flippers, jsut need mask and snorkel)

Can anyone recommend a set thats worth looking at? Lots of options around the place, but its hard to know whats good, and whats not. Prefer to spend $40 - $60 per set, but open to opinions.

We're only casual snorkellers, and not overly worried if they only last the use of this trip (as its probably another year before we'll get away again)

Cheers :)

They are finns not flippers :P

Go into your local diving shop, they should cut you a deal on 4 sets. Retail for a average set is around $50-$60

most boats will have them for hire

Where are you going... Cairns?

if you are I can recomend a boat that was nothing short of great. Most boats will also offer a dive option with the divemaster for those that are not ticketed and I would strongly recomend that you do it... snorkling is nice but you see only about 25% of what a diver sees as the fish are camoflarged. When you are at their level or below, the colours will stand out and realy impress you...this I promise

you will also see the 3D structure of the reef rather than just the view from above. I am a diver so am biased but I doubt that I could be bothered snorkeling knowing what I wont see because Im not diving (if that makes sense)

he he he... see what I did? Wok

I recommend doing as stated above and hiring some gear over there and spend some money to get yourself a decent underwater camera.

You will see heaps of stuff that you cant describe to people so what better than a photo to show them.

Get one with an underwater setting as it balances the colour. Red spectrum is reduced underwater.

Olympus do a good one.

about$500-$600

HTH

Everyones face is different, so in addition to looking at cost, the best thing is for each person is to try different masks on. There is nothing more annoying & distracting than having to constantly clear a leaking mask, especially for beginner snorkellers!

Without putting the straps on, just put the mask up to your face and then breathe in. A good fitting mask should just suck on up & seal to your face easily, and not have any leaks. Make sure there are no hairs in the way to break the seal.

A small/low volume mask is always easier to clear if you do get water in, and makes less squeeze on your eyeballs when you do dive down.

Have a great time!

Everyones face is different, so in addition to looking at cost, the best thing is for each person is to try different masks on. There is nothing more annoying & distracting than having to constantly clear a leaking mask, especially for beginner snorkellers!

Without putting the straps on, just put the mask up to your face and then breathe in. A good fitting mask should just suck on up & seal to your face easily, and not have any leaks. Make sure there are no hairs in the way to break the seal.

A small/low volume mask is always easier to clear if you do get water in, and makes less squeeze on your eyeballs when you do dive down.

Have a great time!

agree to all above except that you should only have to gently push the mask onto your face and it should seal for a moment or two. and squeeze when you dive down can be avoided by slight exhalation through the nose.

also go see your local dive shop bout a snorkelling course. may sound silly but you may learn some basic manouvers and new methods of clearing. itl also give you abit more confidence inthe water.