Questions about chain loaches

paekakboyz

Hi All,

experiencing a snail explosion in my tank after rehoming my 3 skunk loaches - they had outgrown all the other fish in the tank. They didn't harass or bully the other fish but were constantly flying all over the tank and freaking the fish out.

Tank has a way more relaxed feel to it now - cardinals and corys are out and about which is great...however the snail problem isn't!

I was thinking about a small group of chain loaches (google search indicated these are the most mellow/community suitable snail killers!).

If people could share their experiences of keeping chain loaches that would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about Chain or Skunk loaches, but my Zebra loaches did a fantastic job of cleaning up a snail infestation in one of my tanks. So there's another option for you, although in my experience they seem a bit hard to come by, then again that just could be cos of my location and terrible LFS. :roll:

Which are best Chain or Skunk? We have clown loaches but they do nothing to our snails. Our snail population is HUGE.

I'm surprised! My clown loaches eat any snail that comes within a metre of the tank. (Ok I may be exaggerating a little.) But I have no hesitation introducing snails on plants, or even breeding snails and putting them in the tank, because I know they will be gone in no time. The clowns actively seek them out.

RochelleMay, you might like to try squishing a few snails against a rock or the tank glass and see if your loaches eat them. Then they may just get a taste for escargot and go hunting for more!

I have 10 Chain/Dwarf Loaches and 2 Zebras - they're good 'cos of their small size they can get into all sorts of cracks and crevices :D and they stick to themselves most of the time..wouldn't mind adding a few more Chains to my little gang, good housekeeping fish!

They didn't harass or bully the other fish but were constantly flying all over the tank and freaking the fish out.

Our chain loaches charge around quite a bit, we have a small school of them and come feeding time the water just about foams.